whirring noise - throwout bearing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

whirring noise - throwout bearing?

Ahh the debugging continues. So my truck (88 4runner, 22re) makes a whirring noise that completely goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed in. It is fairly high pitched, and raises in pitch relative to engine speed. It does this if the trans is in neutral and/or while driving through the gears. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

The release bearing (throw out bearing) when bad, usually makes the noise when the pedel is being depressed.

In your case, sounds like a pilot bearing problem.

-WayneM
1984 Toyota p/u
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 12:18 AM

It's the input shaft bearing. The throwout and pilot bearings only turn when the pedal is pushed down, and the input shaft stops turning when the pedal is down...

I'm pretty sure the front bearing can be changed from the outside of the tranny (You still have to pull the tranny, but don't have to tear it apart) and is usually the problem...

Jerod

"Hiking is just walking where it's ok to pee.....
Sometimes old people hike on accident....."

89 4Runner "The James Caird" Yeah, I named it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

What is the process for replacing this bearing? Does anything need to be pressed? Do I have to remove the input shaft?

Last edited by andykrow; 05-13-2007 at 01:51 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Aprentice

Sounds like what I had 3 yrs ago. Had to drive with it like that for 8 months until I got back home from school. Noise subsides when crusing in 4th, cause "4th gear" just locks up the main shaft and does not transmit through the cluster gear.

It was a pitted inner race on the input bearing. Get the number and source it from a bearing shop, about 1/3 the price then at dealer. I got a whole bearing kit and did both shaft bearings and needle bearings in the main shaft. Get quality input shaft seal, and overfill tranny with double normal capacity synthetic oil.

Last edited by 5440; 05-13-2007 at 04:46 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

So what is the worst case scenario when this bearing seizes up? complete tranny failure or what? The noise doesn't sound "horrible" It isn't very loud and there isn't any grumbling...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Aprentice

I bet just gradually gets worse. I think as the beaing get looser, you may notice gear rubbing as the input shaft begins to deflect sideways more. You may be able to go longer with it, but if it was me, I'd get it fixed sooner rather than later to find out what may happen.

I would not tow anything, avoid mountains, hammering on it, avoid 5th, use 4th instead. Overfill the tranny with oil. These trannies have a lube problem with that bearing. Overfilling should ensure the bearing does not run any dryer and may help prolong the eventual bearing failure.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM View Post
The release bearing (throw out bearing) when bad, usually makes the noise when the pedel is being depressed.

In your case, sounds like a pilot bearing problem.
Hi Wayne,

It's probably lack of sleep .... but it can't be a pilot bearing. Think about it, when the clutch is released the flywheel and the input shaft are locked up, the pilot bearing only turns when the flywheel/engine is spinning at different speeds than the clutch disc.

gNARLS
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Journeyman

So, I had posted a series of questions on a forum that is now defunct. The forum was something like offroad toyotas, I think mudrunner tried running it for a while.

Anyway, there was a similar thread describing a whirring noise coming from somewheres around the tranny bell housing, and I went to read it for some help.

At the time, I could only hear the whirring bell like sound when travling in 1st or 2nd gear around 1500 - 2000 rpms.

But, I can now hear it at idle, in neutral...just barely.

If I press the clutch down, I can hear it unless the clutch is completely engaged (all the way down to the floor). 1 inch above the floor and I can hear it.

My question, is: does this sound like the pilot bearing?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenToyotaFan View Post
It's the input shaft bearing. The throwout and pilot bearings only turn when the pedal is pushed down, and the input shaft stops turning when the pedal is down...

I'm pretty sure the front bearing can be changed from the outside of the tranny (You still have to pull the tranny, but don't have to tear it apart) and is usually the problem...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode