Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Toyota > Toyota SUV's & Trucks

Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Journeyman

andykrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exhaust leak - ghetto fix??

Hey,

So the previous owner of my 88 4runner (2.4L, manual) had replaced a small section of the exhaust down-tube (right where it bends) with a small section of flexible tube, supposedly made specifically for exhaust. Anyway it doesn't seal well and is causing an exhaust leak, which in turn, i think, is messing with my O2 sensor (and causing my truck to sound somewhat like a cessna...) I plan on putting a header and new exhaust on this thing but until I have money for that what's a ghetto way to seal this up? I was thinking something similar to jb weld but with a higher temp rating. Any ideas?

thanks,
andy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yodta has a spectacular aura aboutyodta has a spectacular aura about

put two clamps on it.

how's it affecting your O2? is your O2 further down the exhaust?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Journeyman

It has a clamp on either end of the section. Do you mean to double these up? This is some kind of weird flexible tube made for exhaust repairs, but it doesn't look like it would compress very well if at all... Hence I want some kind of high temp sealant in there. As for the O2 sensor it's right in front of the cat, further downstream from the repair.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Journeyman

Any thoughts on orange (high-temp) RTV??
Old 05-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond repute

Never use RTV or any type of silicone stuff on the exhaust it stinks when it heats up!

For a good lasting ghetto fix call up some heating supply places and ask for furnace cement. They use it to seal the metal ducting back to the chimney after they clean it out. This stuff is designed to harden the more heat you apply to it! Buy a whole tub of it...apply generously around the leaking area and then pack it with your hands nice and tight. Next get a propane torch and start to indirectly heat the area and the cement will swell and harden...After it hardens some apply direct heat with the torch. When it looks good go ahead and start up the vehicle and let it idle for a few hours. Then it's ready to drive again. The next few days take it easy on the engine while the cement bakes in...When it's all said and done you will be able to get on the gas again and won't have to worry about leaks. If you get a blow out just apply more cement and repeat!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Journeyman

Well, the permatex "copper" rtv is made specifically for sealing up exhaust... but I went with some "exhaust system joint and crack sealer" they had a autozone. Says it hardens with more heat too... we'll see what happens!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:55 PM

missouriman has a spectacular aura aboutmissouriman has a spectacular aura about

just go to an auto place. they make a kit for fixing that.
kind of like putting an old time cast on it. or header wrap.
or just pick up a new piece of the flex tube.

not much more then steel will last under that kind of heat.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond repute

The copper permatex is for sealing gaskets and such not sealing your exhaust pipes. The stuff just isn't designed to take the heat and pressure unless it's sandwiched between two pieces as a gasket. You can use it on your exhaust and header gaskets etc but I don't recommend it...I just clean the surface alot and use new bolts and fresh gasket every time.

Let us know how it turns out with the stuff you got at A-Zone...If it's the same stuff it might be easier to buy it there instead of a heating supply shop. I needed bulk amounts back when I did mine though...I had a '84 Subaru Wagon and the "Y" pipe rusted out...Was like $600 for the pipe from the dealer and nobody would touch making a custom one back then...So I sealed the whole thing almost with that stuff and it got me a sticker and lasted a little over a year.

Last edited by mudrunner88; 05-10-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Apprentice

scabbyota is an unknown quantity at this point

A split open beer can with both ends removed and two clamps.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabbyota View Post
A split open beer can with both ends removed and two clamps.

Your bringing back some memories now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.