Cheap but effective power upgrades-'88 22RE; brakes question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Toyota > Toyota SUV's & Trucks

Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 AM

nixter080 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheap but effective power upgrades-'88 22RE; brakes question

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the great advice on engine oil for my rebuilt engine. I have another question--

How can I boost performance in my 22RE without spending huge amounts of money. And by huge amounts I mean more than $300 or so for everything. I bought a K&N filter, so that's letting my engine breathe better, and I'm thinking about buying some iridium spark plugs and premium wires, but that's all I can think of that doesn't require some major work done. Can anyone give me some advice??

Another quick note: How difficult is it to change brakes, and what parts (pads, rotors) does everyone recommend? Does anyone know the link to the toyota repair manual that's online? I think autozone had it or something.

Sorry for the millions of questions--thanks ahead of time for your help!

1988 Toyota 22-RE 180k
my first true love
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Gnarly4X has a spectacular aura aboutGnarly4X has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixter080 View Post
..How can I boost performance in my 22RE without spending huge amounts of money. And by huge amounts I mean more than $300 or so for everything.
Nix,

Dude.. this is THE most discussed subject ever for 22R/RE engines!!

"Boosting performance in a 22 without spending huge amounts" is like sucking sand through a straw!!

First, you are spending money on upgrades that will most likely NOT increase power.

$300.... hummm, well $225 for Doug Thorely header with opened exhaust and free-flow muffler will gain you about 10% in HP and torque numbers. However, a DT header is about $225 and the exhaust could be another $300 to $400, so you need to save up some more money. After the exhaust you need to consider a cam change for perhaps $90 to $200. This will add to your header and exhaust and get you another approximate 8% increase. Beyond those two "bolt-on" mods, you will need save up for more serious and somewhat expensive (depending on your point of view) modifications.

If you are going to "working" on your Toy, invest in a Toyota FSM, it's worth every dime!

That's just my worthless opinion.

Last edited by Gnarly4X; 04-21-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:34 PM

nixter080 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, so for Dough Thorley, this...
Product Details

and this?
Product Details

So i'm looking at around 1,000 bucks after everything, right? and where can I find cam changes? I'm not familiar with those. I do have a manual, but I wanted to review some stuff at work right now, and my manual is at home.

Thanks for your input!!

1988 Toyota 22-RE 180k
my first true love
Old 04-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixter080 View Post
ok, so for Dough Thorley, this...
Product Details

and this?
Product Details

So i'm looking at around 1,000 bucks after everything, right? and where can I find cam changes? I'm not familiar with those. I do have a manual, but I wanted to review some stuff at work right now, and my manual is at home.

Thanks for your input!!

Here's what I'd do: Install DT header, go to a local and reputable muffler shop, have them install 2" exhaust with factory style turbo muffler. Or you could buy an Autozone Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler (factory style - not a glasspack - my favorite cheapy muffler ($30) - has quiet mello sound, but throaty) and have them install that. If you remove the cat it will help, but that depends on your emissions laws. After that, I'd install a torquey cam, and there are several good ones to choose from Engbldr has a couple (261, 268) and CompCam makes a nice one (252S), and Erson (268) makes a nice one. So from a stock 22RE at 116 HP you gain enough HP and torque to get it up to about 138 HP - which should be VERY noticeable at the throttle. I've never seen any proof that K&N filter systems make more power. Toy stock or cheapy Autozone plug wires and good ol' copper or platnium NGK, Denso, or Bosch plugs will work just fine.... again that's just my worthless opinion.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 AM

missouriman has a spectacular aura aboutmissouriman has a spectacular aura about

I would just save the money on the header. I didn't feel a big difference.
clean up the stock manifold. have the inside sand blasted smooth and call it good.
spend the money on lockers and gears.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouriman View Post
I would just save the money on the header. I didn't feel a big difference.
clean up the stock manifold. have the inside sand blasted smooth and call it good.
spend the money on lockers and gears.
Although lockers and gears dont' make any "power", the right ring & pinion will change the RPM/torque area and improve throttle response. Gears and lockers, depending on the lockers, can run you into a couple grand!! Lockers, of course, are a no brainer if you want to do any serious wheeling.

The DT header and opened exhaust on my '86 22RE and my '85 22R made a VERY noticeable difference. The difference was more noticeable (seat of the pants) in my 22R. I would highly recommend a tri-y header over the stock manifold for all around improved throttle response. The small drop in torque from off-idle to about 2000 RPM over the stock exhaust manifold is worth the gain from 2000 up to 4500 RPM in the header, TJMWO.

Last edited by Gnarly4X; 04-24-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast

greywolf105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although it isn't talked about much, getting rid of the stock engine driven fan and replacing it with an electric makes a big difference in acceleration that you can feel. Plus it keeps the engine cooler in slow going off road or waiting in the drive thru. Their not too costly and are fairly easy to install. Under drive pulleys save usable power too but I kinda like the water pump and alternator turning at higher speeds, so I don't know if I would recomend them.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf105 View Post
Although it isn't talked about much, getting rid of the stock engine driven fan and replacing it with an electric makes a big difference in acceleration that you can feel. Plus it keeps the engine cooler in slow going off road or waiting in the drive thru. Their not too costly and are fairly easy to install. Under drive pulleys save usable power too but I kinda like the water pump and alternator turning at higher speeds, so I don't know if I would recomend them.
There is some power drain with the stock fan, but the trade-off is reliability. I've heard of an electric fan failing, and burning up an engine. As far as needing "extra fan" cooling, I've never experienced a cooling problem in any of my stock 22s, rockcrawling for hours, blasting around the sand dunes, even in 115 degree temps here in AZ. I think a healthy stock setup works fine. An electric fan with an electric water pump (like Nascar's) would really be kick ass!!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:29 AM

Ulua is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in process of getting more power out of my 22re engine.I installed a later type plenum & Throttle Bore,open air filter, and a just installed DT tri-Y header.The cam and head is stock for now but much better throttle response from 2000 to 4500 rpm.Later I will do a catback 2 1/4 exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler.My truck has a BJ and shackle lift to fit 33's easily and 4:88 gears.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulua View Post
Im in process of getting more power out of my 22re engine.I installed a later type plenum & Throttle Bore,open air filter, and a just installed DT tri-Y header.The cam and head is stock for now but much better throttle response from 2000 to 4500 rpm.Later I will do a catback 2 1/4 exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler.My truck has a BJ and shackle lift to fit 33's easily and 4:88 gears.

Wow... nice ride!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement