Roof mounted light bars - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Tools and Fabrication Forum for discussing the latest tools or fabrication methods for the Off-Road vehicle owner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Roof mounted light bars

Hey guys.

Ok so i have been searching the internet for designs on how to make a custom roof mounted light bar, but with no prevail, and to be completely honest i have come to wits end. i want to build a light bar for the roof of my 1973 Dodge W100 Truck with a min of 6 lights mounted to it. I want forward facing and two off to the sides. Can anybody either explain or give me a place where this has previous accomplished.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Addict

I built this one....

4 runner light bar - Wild Yoats Toyota 4X4 Bulletin Board

If I were to do it again, I would use 2x1 box tube for the cross bar.
1/2 in angle with 5/16 coupler nut attached, 1/4 20 cap screws, 1/4 20 coupler nuts spaced and attached to the uprights.

post yours when you get it done
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Great news! I finished the light bar for the truck. I used a 2 inch square piece of pipe, about 4 feet long and welded washers to it, then built custom support feet to it. Its not the most fanciest design but it works. I now have 5 forward face KC Daylighters, and a reverse sealed beam KC Daylighter facing to the rear. I just need to finish the front brush guard and mount the other 4 lights i have to it so i will have a total of 12 off roading lights!! I think i might use Hella's for the front brush guard because they are good and cheaper then the KCs!! ill post pictures soon. so that people can design and build there own and not have to get a head ache searching the web like i did!! Next up, the SNORKEL!!!!!

Last edited by CEdwards; 03-08-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Roof mounted lightbar

So your looking to build your own lightbar....Yes me too.As u did....I searched the net,and too no prevail came too wits end as well...
U want your lightbar to have side facing lights...Well have u heard of a lightbar made about ten years ago by a company called Trailblazer....They are now out of busness but they had built a lightbar called the SR 1000.It had 10 hallagen facing forward 5 facing back and one left and one right..There was a new company about to take off with the new and re desighned light bar last year but economy went for a flop.I have tried to find one of the new ones with HID lights in it .....no luck
Check out www.trailblazerlights.com or NiteFire Lights USA
I know for sure that they have pics on ther to maybe give u some ideas for your own.....If your looking for serious lighting i think u will enjoy this
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:27 AM

Hey dudes why don't you show picture of that, please attach some snaps so that i can try on my truck also.....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

well like i stated above i built my own and welded it to the truck itself. Then mounted 6 KC Daylighters, 5 forward facing, 1 back. I ran 10gauge wire to them all to prevent overheating in the wires and drilled a hole behind the inbed tool box so that they can run inside the cab. not the cleanest of mods but its functional!! if your still interested ill take some pictures and post them here. Like i said i just took steel pipe, and welded washers onto it and mounted the lights to that. Again not the best look but who cares, they work, look badass and its a off roading truck anyway

these pictures show the lights from a distance while i was out playing in the mud ill get better ones of the actual bar later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1939.jpg (101.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1942.jpg (100.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by CEdwards; 03-08-2011 at 11:35 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Alright here is the pictures. As you can see the bar we made out of round pipe, and welded washers together then to the bar for the lights to sit on. Then we welded square tubing together to make feet and welded the whole piece to the cab of the truck and mounted the lights. Not the cleanest of fabrications but we were just getting familiar with the welder lol. Also its rusting here in the pictures which could have been stop if we would have painted the welds. again newbie mistakes but overall works like a freakin charm also built custom switch board for the lights which include 4 toggle switches, 3 for the forward facing lights and 1 for the reverse if interested let me know and ill take photos and show it here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0310111418.jpg (25.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 0310111419.jpg (35.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 0310111420.jpg (23.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 0310111420a.jpg (44.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 0310111421.jpg (39.3 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode