Tire Pressure BFG T/A KO - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Tire Tips, What Works Best One of the most-talked-about subjects on our Boards; applies to all makes and models.

Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Tire Pressure BFG T/A KO

I have some 245/70/17 BFG T/A's on a 2010 AWD GMC SAVANA Van. The vehicle owner's manual says tire pressure at 35 pounds.

I was told by the Costco tire service guy that the BFG T/A's being a 10 ply tire needs to be inflated to 45 psi to seat correctly.

What is the correct tire pressure for these tires on a half ton SUV, VAN, PU?
What should I run them at?
What do you run yours at?

This would be for highway driving and the best pressure to ensure the longest tire life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Journeyman

Tires

Forget those costco techs; most of them don't know jack sh!t about anything. Just contact the manufacturer of the tires on their website, they will give you a no bullsh!t answer. They may be contacted on their website, BFGoodrich® Tires - my suggestion is to set them to the OEM specifications, unless they are larger than the OEM tires. The manufacturers spend countless amounts of time and research to ensure the vehicles safety, ride comfort, adequate braking distance, etc. The tires are your only contact with the road and they are essential to keep properly inflated at the recommended tire pressure. Just go ahead and contact BFG directly and they should give you a no B.S. answer. Tires are seated when they are put on the rim, other than that they just need to be checked regularly to ensure the adequate tire pressure is maintained. Take it easy man. Late.

BTW there is no "magic" number that all tires have to be set to; many people think tires should be kept at max tire pressure which isn't true becsause the center of the tread wears excessively, the correct tire pressure is the one on the drivers side doorjamb which states the recommended tire pressure for that specific vehicle.

I need a bigger engine!

Last edited by blowns10; 09-10-2010 at 11:46 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. You are correct. I went to the BFG website and they say to set tire pressure to the manufacturers specifications for the vehicle.
It says 35 psi on the door of my vehicle so i will set them to atleast 35 psi maybe 2-3 pounds over as I like the ride a little stiffer.

I should be good around 35 psi. Maybe 38 psi for a bit stiffer.

I am getting a little rounding on the front tires at 5000 miles. I have been running them around 38 according to the TPMS system which I question as to its accuracy as I bought a nice tire gauge from Summit racing and the TPMS is like 5 pounds different. So right now I am trying to figure things out. I want to try and run them to see what sort of maximum mileage I can get out of them. Vans seem to chew up front tires quick. Maybe SUV's and pickups do to I don't know. But I am getting a bit of rounding and have been told a lot of conflicting stuff from costco tire guys. I think I will not listen to them any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Addict

Ford van? yes they eat tires fast. if both shoulders are wearing, you need more psi, where center wear you need less pressure. If the fronts are wearing only 1 shoulder each, you need an alignment. make sure your rig is loaded as you normally do when you go for an alignment. also it is extra important to rotate the tires regularly when you know that your rig wears out tires unevenly.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:34 AM
Journeyman

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
I am getting a little rounding on the front tires at 5000 miles. I have been running them around 38 according to the TPMS system which I question as to its accuracy as I bought a nice tire gauge from Summit racing and the TPMS is like 5 pounds different. So right now I am trying to figure things out. I want to try and run them to see what sort of maximum mileage I can get out of them. Vans seem to chew up front tires quick. Maybe SUV's and pickups do to I don't know. But I am getting a bit of rounding and have been told a lot of conflicting stuff from costco tire guys. I think I will not listen to them any more.
No prob man, that's why we're here, to help out. What's the prob?, just some rounding of the tires, or does it include cupping, wearing on the inside or outside?, a little more info will help. Another thing is at Costco they use an impact gun to remove & reinstall the lug nuts, a BIG NO NO; it's ok for removing, but for reinstalling, that should only be done with a torque wrench!! The proper procedure for reinstalling is to tighten finger tight and then use the torque wrench for the tightening of the lug nuts; in a 3 step procedure, never fully; EX. torque @ 90 ft. lbs., do 3 even increments 30, then 60 and finally 90 ft. lbs. Even when using an impact, they can use torque sticks, but IT'S BEST TO USE A TORQUE WRENCH, so you are assured no rounding, galling, seizing, or stripping of the bolts. Another thing is that you have an AWD which equals more weight & strain on the front end components; so basically you want to make sure your alignment is in specs, your tires are set at the correct psi (check it often), rotate and balance them often, other than that, it should be all good because you've got a brand new ride!. Do you go off road, since it's an AWD some people venture off road, especially in desert areas like nevada. BTW, I had a family member experience a similar prob, the tires were worn within a 2 year period and required replacement; took it to Costco showed them my records for align, balance & air pressure adjustments (done at a dealer - not Costco); they didn't honor it because they stated that the tires were supposed to be serviced at Costco and be on their computer; therefore it was customer negligence...oh well, I wont ever buy tires there!!. Need any more info, just hit us up!. Late.

BTW: were the tires bought at Costco?, I doubt it right; they came as OEM equipment is my guess...Late.

I need a bigger engine!

Last edited by blowns10; 09-30-2010 at 01:39 AM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Journeyman

Question

Ok, I did a bit of reading and based on your past post, you had OEM General tires which were passenger car tires; was the size 245/70R17?; and you have new wheels too, not the OEM wheels....what are the specs, are they the same width and the same backspacing, what about the offset?. All these factors play a critical role in determinig tire life & wear. I'm not dogging you man, just want to know a bit more info and don't wanna give you false information. And based on your responses, yeah, it seems like you go off road, that too will also determine just how many miles you get out of a tire.
Late

BTW, you've got a 1500 series Savana, correct; because that's the model only model that comes with P245/70R17 tires, the other models 2500/3500 use P245/75R17 tires. Late

I need a bigger engine!

Last edited by blowns10; 09-30-2010 at 02:07 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Novice

I think a good tire installer or tire dealer is the perfect source to give you the better answer, so i feel kindly visit nearest tire installer.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Novice

I totally agree with truckboy. Good tire dealer is one of the best source to give you the better suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode