Lug Nuts Too Tight! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > General Off-Road > Tire Tips, What Works Best

Tire Tips, What Works Best One of the most-talked-about subjects on our Boards; applies to all makes and models.

Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2003, 04:14 PM
XJDaddy

Default Lug Nuts Too Tight!

I went to get new tires, and the guys that replaced my lugnuts tightened them way too much. I can't get a couple of them off. With one of them, my dad and I got out a chisel and cut it all up (and some of my wheel [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]), but it's still on there. We're afraid to do that with the other. Do I need a torch?? Any suggestions for either lugnut? Thanks.

XJ Daddy

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lug Nuts Too Tight!

Take it back to them and make them take it off. Make sure they didn't warp a rotor or ruin a wheel either.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Old Hand

baronvonwarner is an unknown quantity at this point

i would just put a big breaker bar and about a three foot piece of pipe on it and try to either get it to btreak free or break off .. the studs should be replaceable . you should be able to break the stud if you put the hurt to it ....Von Warner
Old 04-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Rembrant has a spectacular aura aboutRembrant has a spectacular aura about

Be careful if yer gunna use a torch....I saw a guy ruin an aluminum Chevy Blazer wheel with a torch, trying to remove a stuck lugnut. This warning only applies if you have alloys though...steel will take a little more heat of course.
I have antiseize on all my wheel studs, and even when I put the nuts on with my CP impact gun, I can still take 'em off with a breaker bar. They've never gotten stuck.
Good luck.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Old Hand

yoat94 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would do like Von said with the breaker bar , Did you try an air gun ? Also if the breaker bar dosen't work you can also use a butane torch instead of a welding torch . The butane torch won't melt the alloy wheel but will cause enough heat on the lug nut to maybe get it to expand a little then get that breaker bar on there quick while it's still hot. Good Luck [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

Take it back and have the morons fix it.

I once had a shop do something similar on a 86 Chevy K5 Blazer I had. A 4 way with a 5' long bar on it, myself, my grandpa, my dad, and my neighbor all pushing up on it, we still couldn't budge 2 of the lug nuts. We bent a 4 way arm getting another two off. Guy at the tire place said there was no way his man put them on that tight, just as the guy on the lift trying to take the lug nuts off had the air gun spin around out of his hand............. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Old Hand

Some people and air guns scare me , espically the ones who just like the noise and keep hitting the trigger and fly a socket off the end at ya , That stinks [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my brother twisted the end off of a 4way trying to get his wheels off, he was so pissed.
i found an air gun at work that sounds like a gun they use in the pits, revs really high, but it leaks like a sive (sp?) it actually never stops, it will do 20 or so revs per min but it keeps going, its funny, but i like it, weee weeee (with no socket on it [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 04-03-2003, 01:03 PM
LowGearMonster

There is this air gun at my work that has to way at least 70 pounds. The thing could tear your arms off if a bolt is really stuck. Sounds like a pissed lion when you turn it on.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Old Hand

We have a big gun at home , Not sure how many Lbs but we use it on the Kenworth and a couple of trailers we have and it buzzes them off usually but we did have to torch a few on our Low bed they were stuck real bad a 5 ft bar wasen't doing the trick !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement