Craigslist - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Thefts and Complaints Here's your place to bitch and moan about poor customer service. More importantly, report theft of vehicles and scams affecting the Off-Road community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 08:08 PM
larrydaytona

Exclamation Craigslist

Don't post an ad on this web site. Thought I sold an ATV.
Was sent a check and Deposited in Checking Account.
The Check was not real and I got in trouble with my Bank,$$$$$.
Received two more and they all were no good. Don't do
business with this web site. BEWARE.............:cha ir:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Aprentice

CraigsList

Sorry to hear about that.
There are definitely some ****ty people out there.

I wouldn't get too down on CL though. It's not the one at fault in your case.
CL is just a portal for people to find other people who want to do business. And for free too.
Unfortunately, some people are professional ****bags and leech off those of us who are given to playing fair.
I've had mixed results on CL, almost all good though.
I bought a Speedglass windshield for my YJ for about 1/2 of retail, last week. And the (private individual) seller lives almost 1000 miles from me. I paid thru PayPal, and got the WS in less than a week. No problems, awesome deal.
I hooked up with my Jeep and my streetbike off CL. Got them both at great prices from good people.

You know what the worst deal I ever made on CL was?

I listed an excercise machine in the FREE section. I just wanted it gone.

All kinds of *******s emailed and called, very enthusiastic to be getting something for free. None of them kept their appointments to come get it. After about the fifth no call/no show, I took it down and parted it out.
I sold the weights for $100, to a nice guy off CL who showed up on time and brought the cash. The rest of it went to scrap metal.

But those ****bags out there don't care if they ruin things for the rest of us.

I say, don't let them. Try to do business local and in cash, or pay through a (relatively) secure service, talk to and feel out the seller beforehand, and most importantly, trust your gut. If you smell a rat, pull out before it's too late.

I have, probably, close to 100 deals done off CL, both buying and selling.
99% of them good, if not great deals.

Last edited by JonEck; 10-04-2008 at 01:46 AM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Just Plain Need A Life

Yeah, it's honestly not the board; it's the people. We've had dealings on CL that went just fine - my sister uses it constantly (buying and selling, as well as freebies). Same with eBay, and several enthusiast classifieds boards.

Any board can have scammers. It's a buyer beware, seller beware kinda thing.

Before I would just deposit an out of town check, I would take it in person to the bank (their bank, if possible) and have it verified. They make sure the person not only actually has an account - THAT account - but that the funds are there. Have them go with you in person, in fact. Then unload the quad.

Best bet - get cash. Period. If that means taking several more days for the transaction so they can put it together, take the time. Meet them in person somewhere, even if it means driving a couple hundred miles to meet in the middle.

And never ever fall for the "this sounds like a great deal!" international offers. Money orders and cashiers checks can be forged too, wires can be reversed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:41 AM
jgeck90

Yeah just dont be stupid. Dont take check's. If they can hand you a check that means they can hand you cash just as easily! If the offer a check, tell them to get cash out and when they have the cash to get back in touch!
Watch out for fake money!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Moses

Thumbs up Craigs list

I have had great luck with CL both buying and selling I sell for cash & buy with cash. When you flash the green Presidents you bargining power is with you. Got many Items cheaper than price in the Ad. good luck
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Missy Good Wench

I use CL all the time and its great.
Just be warry if someone emails and starts off things with a phrase like
"I will like to buy" Or "My shipper will pick up your item and pay with a cashiers check"

These are flat out and out scammers and will scew you if they can.
No doubt about it.

Best

MGW
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Just Plain Need A Life

Escrow Service

There's also an escrow service we've discovered, endorsed by eBay. Doesn't have to be an ebay sale to use them. Buyer and seller agree on exact description of item, buyer deposits money into escrow account, seller delivers item, if both agree it's as it should be, seller gets money. If not, the service mediates the deal.

Trick is being REALLY specific in the description you agree to.

Also, there are a lot of Escrow Scam companies out there now. They take your deposit, they are gone. The ONLY ONE I've seen eBay endorse is Escrow.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Stranger

i love CL. ive bought a NP205 t-case, a door for my truck, and a 14 bolt ff rear end. also found a set of 33 boggers and rims for my best friend. i always use cash and havent had any problems. i definately encourage the CL.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

I also love CL, I just bought a NP205 also have sold tons of truck parts, 2 motorcycles, plasma cutter...tons off stuff...with no problems... mind you cash only

Todd
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 01:42 PM

I use CL all the time and haven't had a problem with it. I take either cash or paypal, but I prefer cash since paypal charges a percentage on transactions. The good part about paypal though is that when there is a dispute I've had payal handle it right away, so no complaints there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode