Oil Leak/Fuel Pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2001, 07:28 PM
Pooh-Bah

Samurai202 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Leak/Fuel Pump

Couldn't figure out where all the oil in my zuk was going. Did the search, The main thing that came up was the fuel pump. I grabbed some hose put it on the vent and ran the hose to a 20oz coke bottle. Drove it twenty miles and found about 1/4-1/2 inch of oil in the bottom. The fuel pump is good on my parts zuki. Is there a gasket I need to replace or can I just use some rvt?
PS thank god for this board or I would never thought to check the fuel pump for an oil leak!

Shawn

87 Samurai. S-10 Buckets. Cherry Bomb exaust. 2" lift shackles, 30-9.50 Wild Cats
2000 Chev Tracker 235/75 wild cats
If you ain't wheelin get outa here!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2001, 09:41 PM
Veteran

MrSurly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oil Leak/Fuel Pump

Shawn, I had the same leak from my fuel pump. I put a rubber vacuum cap on the vent pipe. I figured if pressure built up in the pump, the vacuum cap would blow off. I've been driving it this way for months, and the cap hasn't blown off yet. No more oil leak, either!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-09-2001, 10:04 PM
Pooh-Bah

Thats a thought, I was wondering though if the fuel pump is leaking oil this way isn't there something internally wrong with the pump anyway? Just wondering......

87 Samurai. S-10 Buckets. Cherry Bomb exaust. 2" lift shackles, 30-9.50 Wild Cats
Old 11-10-2001, 08:43 AM
Cap34

The gasket is easy to make. You can buy a sheet of gasket material at the parts store. My fuel pump did the same thing.

Old 11-11-2001, 01:32 AM
Pooh-Bah

The capping it off idea sounds interesting, what do you all think will the oil just get blown back in with the gas, and is there something internally wrong that I should make replacement of the pump mandatory.

Old 11-11-2001, 07:10 AM
zukikid

the pump leaking oil is a sign that it is going bad...its suzuki's way of letting you know that the pump is on the way out .you could block it off if the leak bothers you ...have the pump crap out on you when driving it down the road,or you can take the hint from you truck and replace the pump and not have to worry about a road side fix .i would say fix it ...50 bucks at auto zone and the gasket should come with it .
zukikid

wow ...it still fits out the garage !!!!
Old 11-11-2001, 08:34 AM
Journeyman

LeeClark is an unknown quantity at this point

ZukiKid is right!!! On my 1988 (early) Samurai, I had the same oil leak from my fuel pump at 95,000 miles even though the pump was still working fine. I bought a replacement pump (which comes with a new gasket) and replaced it for $55... Yes, you can cap the leak (I did that for one week until I had the time to replace the pump) but that is NOT a valid solution. Your mechanical fuel pump will last approximately 100,000 miles or so. If you don't replace it soon, IT WILL FAIL... and that's a fact of life. If the pump on your parts Zuk is in good shape with less than 75,000 miles on it, use it with a replacement gasket. If the mileage is near 100,000, don't waste your time since that one will be leaking soon also. If money is really tight, save up until you can replace this essential item. Otherwise, you are truly tempting fate... and in this case, you will lose sooner than later...
Take care...

LeeClark
1988 (early) Suzuki Samurai
"Life is what you make it... make it worthwhile"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement