Surface rust on chrome wheels?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2001, 07:05 PM
Journeyman

LeeClark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surface rust on chrome wheels??

What's the best way to remove surface rust on my American Racing chrome wheels?? There is not a lot of it... and it's strictly surface... However, I don't want any!!

LeeClark
1988 (early) Suzuki Samurai
"Life is what you make it... make it worthwhile"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2001, 07:12 PM
Veteran

Farther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surface rust on chrome wheels??

Well, if it's chrome and there is rust it is probably not surface. Anyway, you can use navel jelly or Bon Ame to remove the rust that has progressed over the chrome from the material under the chrome. I preferr Bon Ame because it is cheaper, works as good or better than navel jelly and you can use it on many other things. Bon Ame is generally available at your grocery store in the cleanser dept. I have used Bon Ame on fiber glass, polished stainless steel, and gel coat with no problem, so it won't stratch your chrome.

-Farther
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-13-2001, 09:38 PM
Journeyman

LeeClark is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Farther for the info... It's appreciated!!

LeeClark
1988 (early) Suzuki Samurai
"Life is what you make it... make it worthwhile"
Old 10-13-2001, 10:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Does that stuff work on aluminum?

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
Old 10-13-2001, 11:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

freebird01 is an unknown quantity at this point

a brillo pad works better then naval jelly or bon ami....i clean mine with that every summer to get rid of the rust from the winter....works like a charm every time

ICQ# 18103928
AOL IM: Freebird01JM
83 F250 4x4 (For Sale!!)
66 Bronco
87 Samurai (soon!)
Feel free to message me anytime!!
Old 10-15-2001, 10:12 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

rich_d is an unknown quantity at this point

triple 0 "000" Steel Wool works wonderful to shine up the chrome and get rid of the rust.
you will want to seal it afterwards with something? to keep the rust from coming back.

I used to just keep using the steel wool on my chromed up motor cycle. worked great and does not scratch
chrome.

Rich_D
If you don't do anything, How do you know when you are done?
Old 10-15-2001, 12:45 PM
zukikid

worked at my family biz . for years(chrome shop) ...if you hit chrome with any kind of abrasize you are scraching the surface. the surface of the plateing is less than a millimeter...way less.
"chrome" is really nickel plateing that has been treated with high DC currant and chromatic acid .that treatment is what gives the nickel the deep blue and the hardness to resist scraching .
if you use an abrasive on it ... it will remove the hardend outside layer of "chrome "and leave the untreated layer of nickel underneth.nickel can look very brite ...but it tarnishes very quickly...and is very soft.
all i can say is NEVER DULL.NEVER DULL is a non-abrasive metal cleaner.it works on just about any thing ,form silver to brass to chrome.it will not damage surfaces.

it will remove the rust,it will pertect the metal ...but this is just the symptom of the problem. the sun/ salt/road crap,have penitrated the plating "seal" the chrome treatment has been compramised.and it will continue to rust.
never dull will help alot without making the problem worse ...as well as have many non auto related uses. but,if it bothers you alot ,i would look in to takeing them to a shop to be refinish,or look into buying new rims .

i just wanted to help you out not bum you out .
i hope this helps .

p.s. the fact that i can't spell to save my life does not mean i don't know what i am talking about .(well in this case any way)
zukikid

wow ...it still fits out the garage !!!!
Old 10-15-2001, 01:25 PM
Veteran

Mini4x is an unknown quantity at this point

I always used steel wool and paste wax.. kills 2 bird with one stone, cleans off the rust and seals the surface.

I did my ARE Tailgunners last year and they still only lasted about a year before the rust started creeping out again. How come chrome wheels rust anyway??

93 Tracker, ProComp, Calmini, 31's, Thorley, K&N, etc..., aka the donor. Looking for a donee..
http://www.geocities.com/mini4x
Old 10-15-2001, 06:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

Bill4rest is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine are starting too rust as well.....thats why I'm going to ditch them as soon as I can and going black beadlocks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement