Backwards on a tow dolly - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2001, 02:44 PM
Pooh-Bah

DougO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Backwards on a tow dolly

OK, I'm renting a tow dolly for the trip to attica, about 7-8 hours, is it advisable, if needed, to tow it backwards? Its not so I dont have to disconnect the D-Shaft, Just basicly cause of the welded rear, or should it be fine? Any opinions, or knowledge on this? Oh, and by chance something in the back breaks there I can get it home that way. Dont plan on it happening, but ya never know.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2001, 02:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Billy Bob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Backwards on a tow dolly

hey man, i own a tow dolly, had to tow one backwards one time. not a fun experience for me. lock on steering didnt have the tires centered exactly. kept throwing me all over the road. couldnt go over 45mph. if it were me, id just put it on there in standard form, if something pukes out then worry bout putting it on there backwards. dont think you will have probs cause of the welded rear. would hope not anyways. would pull the rear shaft just in case though.
just my opinion.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-2001, 02:55 PM
Old Hand

NCOffroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto BiLLy bOb.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
Old 07-10-2001, 03:00 PM
Old Hand

zoomy4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use to tow my drag car on a tow dolly backwards to reduce wear on my slicks and to prevent exploding my tranny if it should happen to pop into gear at 60mph. You have to lock the steering column straight by using a strap or some other means. The steering column usually will now lock straight forward for theft reasons.

87' Samurai sitting on jack stands in driveway under construction… stay tuned.
Old 07-10-2001, 03:06 PM
Veteran

longzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with zoomy . I used drive tow truck and if your going to tow backwards make sure the whels are straight and that you tie the wheel down with your seatbelt so that if the lock ( ? ) doesnt hold at least it will still go straight. towed one to many stolen cars to know this.

SIZE DOES MATTER 85 LWB 31'S LINCOLN LOCKER RR,CTR FORCE DUAL FRICTION, CUSTOM BUMBERS & GAS TANK PLATE, SPOA BOBBED 6 INCHES CUSTOM SPORT CAP
Old 07-10-2001, 03:07 PM
mike shannon

Just load it the right way and go. i have hauled mine like that for 250 miles no problem. air the tires up to max pressure in the back and go. it will be fine. as far as you are towing i would disconnect the rear drive shaft and zip tie it up. but don't worry about the welded rear, it will be fine. i have 33x12.5 on mine and it towed great. later mike

zuks and toys
Old 07-10-2001, 03:09 PM
Addict

mmartian1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is one question that I had floating around but didn't really need answered yet.

I would have preferred to get a flatbed, but don't have the room at my house for it. As it is, my dolly barely squeezes into the garage (single car, 11 feet wide, 30 feet long). I ended up getting a dolly from uhaul for $650.

I figured it's better than flat towing (don't have to worry about the tow vehicle going one way and the towed vehicle going the opposite way). Also if I happen to break something up front or in back I can still get it home.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
Old 07-10-2001, 03:17 PM
Old Hand

zoomy4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would do what Mike suggests. The question was can you tow this way and the answer is yes, but the safest way is to tow it with the front wheels on the dolly. Disconnect the drive shaft.

87' Samurai sitting on jack stands in driveway under construction… stay tuned.
Old 07-10-2001, 03:29 PM
Old Hand

TexasA&MOffRoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flat towing vs. tow dolly

why would using a tow dolly be better than flat towing? as far as i can tell, the only difference is that the front wheels arent turning.... if you dont dissconnect the rear shaft, both shafts will still be turning along with the tcase... where is the advantage?

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
bassmstr99@aol.com
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Old 07-10-2001, 03:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DannyL is an unknown quantity at this point

DON'T do it!!!
I towed a Toyota pick-up backwards once. At 40 mph it started to fishtail.
I changed my underware and put it on the Right way.....

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement