Water/steam coming from exhaust - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2001, 12:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Water/steam coming from exhaust

Hi,

Well, I decided to pick up an 87 Samari due to it's ability to get into some tough places that my old '70 Blazer doesn't like. Problem being the unit I bought had been overheated and appeared to have blown a head gasket. Otherwise cherry, I decided to go for it and ordered a gasket set for the top end as there was steam (white smoke) and alot of water exiting the tailpipe. The machinist mentioned that the 1.3 was known to burn exhaust valves and as long as I had it torn down I should replace them and have the intakes reground and the head surfaced. Had no idea the gasket kit was so damn expensive!

Anyway, there was water coming out the #1 cylinder plug hole prior to turning the wrenches. After all was done and said I fired it up this afternoon only to notice what appeared to be more steam and water exiting the tailpipe than when I started! No water coming from any plug holes, but there is an accumulation of the 'white muck' on the underside of the oil filler cap. If I remove the thermastat the steam and water slow to a bare minimum, when reinstalled (new thermastat) the steam gets to flowing pretty damn good.

I'm suspecting there's some kinda leak on the intake gasket side of the head??? I'm 99% convinced that the head gasket isn't/wasn't the culprit here. Any info would be much appreciated on this end as I'm a little wet behind the ears on the foreign vehicle side of the wrench, lol.

Thanks in advance,
1auminer

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2001, 04:28 AM
4xRonin

Default Re: Water/steam coming from exhaust

Makes me wonder if the head is cracked. Did you have it magna-fluxed? By the way, welcome aboard.

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2001, 07:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sounds like a cracked head to me too

87 samurai convertable
4 inches of lift
225 75 r15
2 inch exhaust catless
removable doors
coming soon:
lowrange cam
snorkel
on board air

Old 04-06-2001, 07:37 AM
Enthusiast

RamblinZuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you have the head and block surfaced to make sure they are square? This should be done especially if it has been that hot.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction-always
90 Samurai-Under construction-always
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!
Old 04-06-2001, 07:56 AM

dparker is an unknown quantity at this point

hard to get a aluminum head magna fluxed LOL

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
Old 04-06-2001, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A cracked head was my first thought when I bought it, but I had the head surfaced, Zyglo'd for cracks, new exhaust valves, etc, etc.

I'm almost convinced it's in the intake manifold gasket somewhere as I left the carb in place and fought the tight spaces to get to the bolts/nuts.

Thanks for your input on the matter...it's much appreciated!

1auminer

Old 04-06-2001, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had that happen on my old motor, turns there was a gouge in the intake manifold so a little water was seeping in. Lance

87 Sami conv. Header 2" ex. 4-16 t-case, 5"lift,weber, rear lockrite,rancho's, and a very long wish list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement