weber carb does NOT like the cold - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2001, 05:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default weber carb does NOT like the cold

ok .. I have got a weber 32dgr with a manual choke. (UK fitment)

Recently, i have done the incline stall modification.

Since then, this problem has occured.

When the engine is cold, I give it full choke .. it starts.
It will sit there and fast idle quite happily. No probelm.

When I pull away, and use about 1/4 throttle, the power backs off in a big way. If I push the choke in a bit it improves .. but not much.
If i come back to low revs (1200rpm) .. there is not a problem. (apart from i'm only doing 10mph !!)

Now .. the problem gets less and less the warmer the water temp becomes. When I'm at full operating temp, she runs just fine, apart from a momentary hesitation when you hit the throttle quickly.

Its got me really confused, so any suggestions would be gratefully received ..

Thanks in advance ... Richard

fix it .. bend it .. mend it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2001, 08:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

87zuke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: weber carb does NOT like the cold

Crow put a warm air supply to the weber using a heat riser tube and a part from a shop vac. Contact him for the details. that may help your problem. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-01-2001, 10:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

CrowHorse is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard of a number of folks complain about the Weber and cold starting. My Weber starts fine, but before I fabbed up a pre-heat set up, when it came off choke, it ran really rough till it warmed up and this could take quite some time. The pre-heat setup consists of 1 1/2" preheat tube, the heat riser fitting that came with the header (speed shops probably have these), and a shop vac utillity nozzle (1 1/4"). It's a pretty basic setup. Clamp the heat riser fitting to the header tube, run the pre-heat tube any way you desire to the air filter. The utillity nozzle will have to be modified to connect to the air filter. I used #6 machine screws to the air filter top lip. Because of the angle of the nozzle, it will not sit correctly because it interferes with the front of the carb. I drilled an hole maybe an inch or so in diameter in the neck of the nozzle to provide clearance. As it sits, it no only provides warm air through the filter, but also warms the fuel inlet. I had to cut down the nozzle as it was too long and cap the ends.
The set up dramatically decreased the warm up time needed to maintain proper idle speed. I should note that I never had a problem with power from the Weber. It was only when cold and coming back to idle that it ran like a dog. The pre-heat setup cut the warm up time by 1/2 to 3/4 of what it was before.
The nice part about this mod is that it is a real cheap one to do. I'm looking for another hot air collector to replace the nozzle that I'm using now to improve it's efficency. Hope this helps....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Old 03-02-2001, 04:41 AM
Addict

oldzuki is an unknown quantity at this point

in the winter i run the stock air cleaner set-up on my weber
the orig. tin for the exhaust manifold will work on a header
with longer bolts-only avantage is it warms up faster-if
you have a hesitation giving gas check your acelerater pump
they wear out-also set your timing by ear not timing marks
i have never been able w/webers to use factory timing marks
after you find right timing put paint dot on crank pulley
for timing light set or line at dist to brkt--oldzuki

88 spoa samurai/weber/isky
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
Old 03-02-2001, 06:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ahh ... to put another spanner in the works .. i pre-heated the carb with a electric fan heater this morning ... and left the engine running for 10 mins .. unfortuantely .. it still happened.

I can now notice the problem even when its hot .. even though its only very slight at that stage.

I think that by pulling the carb apart to do the incline stall modification .. i have done something nasty !

I think I will renew all the gaskets, undo my mods, and see if i can get back to normal, before trying it again.

Thanks for you suggestions, and when its all fixed, I will put the pre-heater mod into practice .. its gotta help !

cheers !

Old 03-02-2001, 06:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

oh .. another Q ... should the accelerator pump shoot fuel into both venturis or just one ?

Old 03-02-2001, 07:13 PM
Addict

oldzuki is an unknown quantity at this point

usualy-you only get a shot of fuel in the primary side from
the acel pump/but you can get them that will shoot both
bores at once-not very handy on a 4 wheel drive-but useful
on race-types--oldzuki

88 spoa samurai/weber/isky
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement