88 Samurai, CARB TROUBLE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2001, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 88 Samurai, CARB TROUBLE

I recently bought a beast of a Sami. The thing runs good meaning it doesn't burn any oil, but the damn thing idles at 2,000 rpms and won't run at anything under that speed. The previous owner rigged up a mechanical choke. I have to fart around with the thing just to get it running. I also know the timing is off alot but I can't set it because I can't get the thing to idle right. Once the thing is warmed up and I try to open the choke all the way the thing just dies. Now the stock carb looks like a real pain with all the electrical stuff. Can I make the stock carb work okay, or should I consider going with something else. I have been doing alot [aloud] of reading about the Pony carb and also the Weber [webs] carb. Do both of these carbs do away with all the electrical computer BS, and how hard are they to install/modify the vehicle. I really want to get the thing running right so I can begin to enjoy it. Also how hard is it to replace the front cover seal, cause it seems like I have a little oil leak in front

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2001, 05:31 AM
Can't Get Enough

Scott_CJ8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 88 Samurai, CARB TROUBLE

J&J's,
Welcome to the Samurai world! Once you get the bugs worked out of yours, you'll have a blast! I'd try to completely disconnect the choke (once it is warmed up), and then make the adjustments. The choke could be set up incorrectly. Also, the timing is important. If the vacume advance isn't messed up, you should be able to set the timing even if the idle is high. The stock carb will work ok, you just may need to rebuild it. The Pony and Weber carbs are much better and can be installed without all that other BS stuff, providing you know what is and isn't needed and it is legal in your state to do so.
Front cover seal is easy to replace and not too expensive either, however, the leak may be something beyond that as it isn't an oil seal.
Good Luck and Happy Zukin'

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2001, 06:10 AM
Veteran

88.5 Samurai is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a vacuum line on the right side of the carb (drivers side) that you need to unplug. It runs to the idle up actuator. For some reason it's pulling a constant vacuum and increasing the idle. I'm almost certain that's your problem. I've seen it on several Samurais.

Old 02-27-2001, 06:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Zuk Jr. is an unknown quantity at this point

YEP, I also think its the Vac line on the drivers side! The same thing happend to me when I was off-road and the damn thing kept a high idle and wouldn't go down! Seen the vac line was off and put it back on, was fine after that! 88.5 Samurai I think is right!

<font color=blue>Brian</font color=blue> <font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement