What are the symptoms of a bad rear bearing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2001, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default What are the symptoms of a bad rear bearing?

How would you know if a rear bearing is going bad?
I've developed a shimmy in the rear that I cant track down.

Thanks,
Shawn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2001, 10:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yankee Tim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What are the symptoms of a bad rear bearing?

Check wheel balance. Check your rear driveshaft. It all is okay, then it might be the bearings.

Sometimes they begin to howl at hiway speeds, then you get into the grinding sounds as they continue to wear out. I've seen one where the bearing was so bad that it broke apart and began wearing on the axle shaft itself!

But if it's just a wobble/shimmy, it might be something other than a bearing. Jack up the rear and spin the tires and see which one makes noise or wobbles.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-25-2001, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

shawn normally a wheel bearing doesnt make a sam wobble it will grind or sqeal and begged to be fixed . I would crawl under and push the drive shafts around with the rear end jacked up souds lke a ujoint or maybe alot of ice or snow in your wheels this is common depending on where you live

were not here for a long time were here for a good time
Old 01-25-2001, 12:05 PM
Pooh-Bah

Anton is an unknown quantity at this point

I know somone where their bearing broke into a bunch of peices.Luckyly it didnt hurt anything.
Anton

87 Suzuki Samurai JX, Hybrid SPOA, expander shackles, removable doors, coustom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, fast back top, rear locker, 31's, GM100A Alt, 2, 33's. 740 RTI
Old 01-25-2001, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a rear bearing get so hot it melted the seal which had a plastic outer rim. That seal had been replaced by the previous owner though. I won't use that type.

Old 01-25-2001, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On more than one occasion I've had radial tires cause shimmy when they started to go bad. Look for a bulge in the tread area or tread separation. It only takes one tire going bad to make a really funky wobble. Try swapping in your spare. Bearings shouldn't cause a shimmy and if they're bad are usually easy to hear and/or feel.

88 Sam 4.16t/c,lockrite rear,225-75's on stock wheels, 4.5 spoa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement