Tracker ECM fried - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2000, 04:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Tracker ECM fried

I was letting my '90 Tracker warm up a couple of days ago and it was doing it's usual surging until it gets warm. It suddenly quit. When I got into it to restart it I could smell a burned electrical smell. It would not start after that. I borrowed a shop manual from a friend at a Chevy dealer and went through the checks. I found the computer was bad. Just for the fun of it I pulled the top off the computer and found that the corner of it was chared black and a part was burned in half. All the circuts that plug into the ECM ohmed out when I checked them as per the manual.
My question is, Has anyone else had a similar thing happen to them. Could it be related to the surging problem when it gets cold? I dont want to put another ecm in it to have it blow up again.
Thanks in advance.

1985 fullsize Jimmy 4x4, 1990 GEO Tracker 4x4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2000, 05:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

zooky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tracker ECM fried

I hope not! I have that same surging problem on my '90 samurai. What causes that?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-09-2000, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have read a few post's from people with the same surging problem. So I will assume that it did not cause my ECM to blow up. I would still like to know for sure what causes the surge and what made my ECM explode. I love my Tracker but now I have lost confidence in it.

Old 11-09-2000, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

rodnee is an unknown quantity at this point

Bad ignition wires will cause intermittent "spikes" to hit the processor and burn the drivers out... A complete tune-up is a must do at every 30k... cut corners and pay the price!! Also, bad engine grounds will do this...
The surging is normal for all fuel injected 1.3 & 1.6 samis, kicks etc.. The processor is programmed to do this during warm-up to keep the engine from seizing while running at a constant speed with dissimilar metals warming up at different rates... I never did like the surging or "very" high idle associated with warm-up... It is not adjustable and you'll have to just live with it...
rodnee

Caught by the "ZOOKIE OBSESSION" bug. ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOK.......
Old 11-11-2000, 04:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info Rodnee. I also found an article that explains how the ECM works and it also gave the exact discription of what I found hapened with mine. You can find this article at www.asashop.org/autoinc/jan2000/techtips.htm
Its worth a read.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement