Need Advice - Blown Head Gasket - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2000, 08:48 AM
Old Hand

zoomy4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Advice - Blown Head Gasket

This morning I noticed a little steam coming out of my grill when I come to a stop. Temperature gauge was okay. I can actually see where coolant is leaking out above no.1 cylinder on the intake manifold side. Appeared to be a blown head gasket. Started engine back up to see what else I could find and steam started coming out of exhaust. So I have confirmed that it is what I originally suspected. I am mechanically inclined. However, I have only had my Samurai for a little while and have a couple of questions before I get started:

Is it possible to take the entire intake manifold off with the carb still attached? I could save some time and headache here.

Are these heads prone to warping? I know the block and head are aluminum and this always a possiblity, just asking if this is common problem.

Anyone have a good used 1.3L head for sale just in case?

What brand head gasket is the best for this head? Original Suzuki, Fel-Pro, etc...

The distributor is mounted behind the head. Can it be removed with the head or does it need to be removed before the head comes off?

Any tricks one could share in doing this procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

Wife thinks I bought a Samurai because it's good on gas. Boy does she have a surprise coming!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2000, 10:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Need Advice - Blown Head Gasket

Just a hunch but, it could possibly be just the intake gasket leaking, outside and into the intake runner. Have you checked the intake bolts? The engine I took out of my 86 had a head gasket coolant leak for the exhaust side so yours could be a head gasket too.
If it is the head then the intake, exhaust manifold, carb, or distributor does NOT have to be removed in chassis. The head will come off with all this attached, just be sure to disconnect all coolant lins under intake manifold. check the intake first, Do you have a cooling sys pressure tester?
I have'nt heard of Samurai heads warping under normal usage, but I'm sure they do (there aluminum!!), If it is you could just machine it down a little (also HP increase)of get a used one. I've got about 5 head in my garage but all old and two of em have burnt valves.
Good luck Tim.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
astein1964@uswest.net
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2000, 10:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

zooky is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen the pipe coming out of the back of the water pump leak, its just pressed in there and sealed by an o-ring, make sure its not that

Old 09-20-2000, 12:26 PM
Old Hand

But would that cause coolant to get inside the cylinders? I have water/steam coming out of my exhaust and that means water is getting inside somehow. I don't see how it could make it's way into the combustion chamber that way. Did you have the same symtoms?

Wife thinks I bought a Samurai because it's good on gas. She doesn't know is I am secretly building a Tiny Giant Killer! Now how do I hide the 33" Swampers and do a SPOA next time she goes shopping?
Old 09-20-2000, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it's leaking externaly it could also be leaking into your intake runners (ports), coolant runs into intake through intake gasket. So yes it could be getting into your combustion chamber fromt the intake gasket. It would be wiser to check the intake gasket first then the head gasket.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
astein1964@uswest.net
Old 09-20-2000, 05:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

zooky is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess that rules out that pipe

Old 09-22-2000, 09:08 PM
Old Hand

Okay guys, I replaced the intake manifold gasket and guess what? It is bellowing out just as much steam out of the exhaust as it was before. It did fix the leak on the intake side. So what now? Does the exhaust manifold have the same type of coolant runners on that side too? If it does I will be replacing that tomorrow. The engine runs too good for it to be a head gasket leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wife thinks I bought a Samurai because it's good on gas. She doesn't know is I am secretly building a Tiny Giant Killer! Now how do I hide the 33" Swampers and do a SPOA next time she goes shopping?
Old 09-23-2000, 05:36 AM
mike shannon

sounds like you need to run a compression check.or better yet a leak down.that should tell you what you are dealing with lol mike.

88ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
Old 09-23-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you say your engine runs to good for it to be the head gasket.mine ran fine to but the radiator was constantly out of fluid so it had to be the gasket.when i pulled the head shur enough the gasket was blown out between the two middle cylinders
dan

87'samurai 88'samurai,quittin work just to play, rocks and boulders are my fortay.
Old 09-23-2000, 01:12 PM
Addict

oldzuki is an unknown quantity at this point

theese heads can warp its no common if the head is torqued
correctly. sounds to me like a head gasket two cures come to
mind pull the head and replace the head gasket check the
head for warp limit .5mm if more have it milled more power.
or #2 get powdered permatex stop leak put in and keep going
plan on the head gasket as best cure i have done both ways
but head gasket is the best cure and solves the problem
#2 usually gets you by for a way but ends up doing a head
gasket later or replacing the head i replace the gasket and
mill the head unless trailing when it happens always. lots
of words to say replace the head gasket its safer!!!

88 spoa samurai
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement