Finding out Chevy engine year + size - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2000, 11:41 PM
Addict

markmartinbirdie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding out Chevy engine year + size

If you read my many posts about my V6 Samurai you see I have quite a project at hand. I am currently trying
to find out what size my motor is.( I havent found out the original builder yet) I have been told it might be
a 2.8 I was told yesterday it might be a 3.8 (229 v6) I was told by one guy it has a short shaft turbo 350
Is there any web site that would help me in this delima? I havent been able to find any #s' on the block but
I did find some #'s on the trans. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2000, 01:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Finding out Chevy engine year + size

If it was a 229 I think the distributer will be up front. Messure the valve covers center to center. Or better yet, go to a junk yard and check out engines that they know what they are, ask for a 2.8 out of a cammaro or S-10.

Sky.
85 ext cab, green, flatbed, external cage, locked, swampers, air, and misc suzuki's.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-14-2000, 08:42 AM
Veteran

Benny Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding out Chevy engine year size

A friend of mine has a 3.8L 229 ci Chevy V6 (in his Toyota). Just as you described. He just had it replaced with a rebuilt one and was told that it had about 140 HP (you asked in a previous post) THe distributor is in the rear of the engine and not the front, as the other reply stated. He found a block number on the front left of the block, right next to the water pump.

feel free to email me at benlong@msn.com and ask any other questions you may have, and I will ask my friend.

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/xtreme_offroad">
Old 06-15-2000, 05:56 PM
TEX

Default Re: Finding out Chevy engine year size

<font color=purple>I think the 3.8 BUICK has dist. in front - Chevy no. Odd are if it's hooked to a TH350, it's the 90 degree 229, not the 60 degree 173.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Old 06-16-2000, 02:08 PM
martian

Default Re: Finding out Chevy engine year + size

From what I know, and that isn't nearly enough, Chevy didn't make a TH350 that fits the 2.8 V6. If it is a Buick engine (3800), look at the tranny top front. There will be two bolts at the top, with a V between them. If it is a Chevy, it will have one bolt on top. You'll see what I mean when you see a BOP Chevy tranny. Also, take a quick look under the hood. Does the engine look tiny? Are the tappet covers really small, smaller than a 1.3 Sammie engine. If not, it certainly isn't a 2.8.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.