16 valves or 8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 09:22 PM

trackerman is on a distinguished road
Question 16 valves or 8

I have a bit of a problem with my 1996 Tracker.Did a bit of upgrading and replaced a few parts on tune-up,but for the sake of argument and sounding dumb,can the Valve Pans inter-change?I mean like a 16 Valve pan on a 8 Valve engine.I did everything by the book on checking the timing and well, I,m confused.I Made sure all the Timing marks were right on the nose.Everything lined up prefect,then I pulled the Distributor Cap off and checked the Rotor Button and it was right on the mark for a 16 Valve engine.The Rotor was right were #1 Plug Wire was "SUPPOSE" to be,the only problem is the #1 Plug Wire is down were it's suppose to be on a 8 Valve Engine.The Engine will not run if you wire it up as a 16Valve,but will run wired up as a 8 Valve Engine.Any suggestions?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 PM

Today 09:15 PM - permalinktrackerman
Need an answer please!My 1996 Geo Tracker with a 1.6 16 Valve engine will not run unless the Sparkplug Wires are wired as a 1.6 8 valve motor.There is no difference in firing order of either engine,the only difference is in the wire placement.With the Distributor laying down,#1 is on top for a 1.6 16 valve and #1 is on bottom for a 1.6 8 valve.The camshaft,the crankshaft,the rotor button are all lined up as a 1.6 16 valve but the plug wires are on the Dist. Cap as a 1.6 8 valve motor.WHY IS THIS ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:25 PM

Need an answer please!My 1996 Geo Tracker with a 1.6 16 Valve engine will not run unless the Sparkplug Wires are wired as a 1.6 8 valve motor.There is no difference in firing order of either engine,the only difference is in the wire placement.With the Distributor laying down,#1 is on top for a 1.6 16 valve and #1 is on bottom for a 1.6 8 valve.The camshaft,the crankshaft,the rotor button are all lined up as a 1.6 16 valve but the plug wires are on the Dist. Cap as a 1.6 8 valve motor.WHY IS THIS ?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ackerdackerly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackerman View Post

For details of exactly what the firing order and wiring is for a 16-valve engine, do a search for tracker fsm at Ack's FAQ. The link is in my signature. Pick the Engine section from the '96 Tracker FSM Project's Index page.

Also, be sure that you pick a cylinder as a wiring reference that is both at Top Dead Center (TDC) and has all valves shut (ignition stroke)! Remember, 4-cycle engines have two rotations per power cycle. You don't want the sparkplug to set to spark at the top of the exhaust stroke...

Unfortunately, this forum is generally a ghost town these days. Try zukikrawlers.com, zuwharrie.com or zukiworld.com for faster responses.
I hope that this helps!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement