Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2005, 10:44 AM
nytim

Default Oil Leak in a Suzuki x-90?

I recently developed a large leaking in my '96 Suzuki x-90
1 quart every few hundred miles

This was after I changed the oil (proper amount and weight/ Castrol GTX)and a garage put in a new PCV valve

The garage put in dye and said it is from the oil pump gasket, head gasket, pressure switch and timing cover, and the timing belt and all belts need replacement, along with the gaskets-$750

anyone have any ideas out there?

why

or a cheaper fix?

This is the third suzuki motor I have had that has developed oil leaks
(2 prior Metro's)

Thanks,

Tim Hunter
healthierhouse@yahoo.com
845-255-2323
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Veteran

TomKat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oil Leak in a Suzuki x-90?

With that amount of oil it sounds like a cam or front crank seal. Have to be near mainline oil pressure for that amount to leak.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Old Hand

AZtoyguy !! is an unknown quantity at this point

You say it started leaking like the Valdez after an oil change and PCV valve was replaced? PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation... if it's now leaking out of different gaskets do you think the valve doesn't work or is in backwards? The pressure has to go somewhere.

All Suzuki engines leak oil eventually.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd highly sugguest replacing the oil pressure switch and go from there.

The timing cover does not hold oil, it's a dust/clean seal.

The head gasket should be irrilivent to oil leakage (are you thinking of valve cover leaks?).

How many miles are on the motor?

An oil pan, oil pump (minas well change the pump while you're in there especially if you at 100k?), front main, and maybe the cam seals should not be too hard. Granted, I've done LOTS of seals, belts, and I work at a car dealership.....

Maybe an oem PCV valve? A properly working PCV/Crankcase ventilation system pulls a slight vacuum in the engine's internals. If oil leaks magically appear after installing a PCV valve and doing an oil change, I'd also look at replacing that valve (I don't think it phisically can be installed backwards..).

My 2 cents:
Change oil pressure switch (Dealer/local auto place says it leaks?)
Replace PCV valve with oem unit. Confirm with parts/techs/service on the orientation for
installing (have parts print out a diagram).
Go from there.

Cheers

Bryan
Old 02-16-2005, 12:42 PM
popeye

I had a similar oil leak with my 1.6 because I bypassed my PCV and had the crankcase vent to the atmosphere. It was an experiment so as to get only cold air into my air intake and manifold. This worked great but then my oil pump seal, which is the oldest seal on my engine, started leaking. Putting vacuum back to the crank case stopped the leak, but now I've got hot moist oily air going right down my carburetor and lost all the power gain (which sucks). Make sure your crank case is getting the proper amount of vacuum, and it is a good bet you'll at least slow your oil leak. HTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement