Cam,Crank Timing??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Addict

mug_Shot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cam,Crank Timing???

Allright,,,,I didn't want to post on this yet but I need some advice to save me taking a shot in the dark.

So, as I said earlier on, my cam/crank timing is most likely off a belt tooth,or (but less likely) the dis is off a gear tooth.
Im tring to narrow down weather it might be a tooth advanced or retarted. I thought it was odd that when I took the belt off ,(before this was a problem) the cam gear was at 12 o'clock but the crank gear looked like it was at 11 almost 10. That makes me want to take it off and set it back like that but thats not how its supposed to be.

--Iv noticed that it definatly starts better than it did before this. But that could be b/c Im running it a bit rich now but,,,, I have more power that way than lean.

--Also, the other day I let it run for a while and the snow back by my exaust was really black,,,,but there wasn't any smoke at all.

--It smells like "firecrackers" not gas (which is what I expected since its rich)

--It used to back fire alot now it hasn't done it once.

SO,,,,,,,,Im thinking the valves are shutting too soon and and all the exaust isn't all getting out and Im re-burning the burnt fuel, and thats probably why it runs better rich this way. WHICH SUCKS like an old tired stock 1.3 w/no gears,31's and a few hundred pounds of extra crap in it.

If thats whats happening wich way should I move the Crank a tooth and try Clock wise or (what I think) Counter?

What'd yall think??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CTBrent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cam,Crank Timing???

I would start over (fresh) rather than guestimating. It'd probably take you less time overall. You're really getting to know your engine huh?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Addict

Thats kinda the problem. Iv already done that twice and everything was spec.. The only thing I didnt do was take the valve cover off and look at the cam.

Is it possible for me to set up (+- a tooth) the cam/crank to run better than stock? Kinda like how an adjustable cam sprocket would work. They adjust (+-) 5deg I think. Then I wouldn't have to keep taking this stupid cover off.

I mean,,,, thats basicly what Im doing by moving it left or righ a tooth.

I DO have a 1.3 water pump on it, but the belts tight. I would think the tensioner could really be anyware as long as its keep'n some tension. Im not having any problem with belt slap or anything.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Addict

Cosmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just set the whole shooting match to spec as stated by Brent and then just twist the distributor if you wanna tweak the timing a tad (and keep tabs on it with a timing light)??? Save alot of guessing and taking timing belt cover off....
Old 02-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Addict

Cosmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops....just dawned on me what you are saying....guess my simple theory above would not accomplish that exactly.... [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Addict

Another thing is that the timing marks arnt so great. I might be using the wrong mark. The one on the Crank is obvious,,,,but the Cam has a few "nicks" like in most book pic's BUT,,,,It has a round bump on one of the five spokes and It was Damn close to having the #1 lined up where it was supposed to be so I figured it was that. None of the other maks seemed to be legit, they all kinda looked like accidents. I guess I could put the other (like in the picks) 1.3 sprocket on there. I have extras.

Am I using the right mark???? Its different than the 1.3 sprocket.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Addict

-Shawn- is an unknown quantity at this point

My friends zuki had to have the timing set by vacuum and not by "Marks". The timing belt can be a little off in these little motors. You could try and adjustable cam sprocket, set it by vacuum, but check to see if your not 180 degrees out on your distributor. Aligning the cam and crank marks puts you at #4, not #1. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Addict

FIXED!!I HAVE POWER AGAIN!! [smiley=scream.gif] [headbang]

It only took me "litteraly",,,A half hour to get to the belt check everything again and turn the CAM back 1 tooth and put it back together.

I started at 7:45 BUT didn't finish till almost 10:00 Because of having to take he water pump off and trying to weld a nut to the tiny piece of tensioner bolt that was exposed after it snapped when I was torqueing it DOWN then rumage through everything trying to find a new bolt and finaly scrape everything clean and put it back on. >

Anyway,,,,,,,,Crap,, what a difference!!!! ;D I didn't really have time to tweek in the carb air/fuel and idle, but what the F@#k It has so, much more power! I think Im going to get an adjustable cam sprocket, so I can really tune it in. this is what Iv noticed.

---Its harder to get it started,(like before) Its not "crazy bad" but if its cold it takes 2-3 tries BUT always starts.

---It backfires fairly often,(like before) Just on deceleration, BUT its not that bad. Kinda muffled, not some crazy gun shot $hit. I like it actually,,, it sounds nice and HP, like rally racer or something.

---Low end is the same if not better, AND it pulls from 4 grand-up like I spooled up a some boost!!

SOoooooMuch BETTER!!!!

Whats so weird is,,,,,, that when it was the other way IT WAS DEAD ON SPEC. I took the grill out I used a stait edge I checked the dis. and the flywheel EVERYTHING about 10 times. I deffinatly used the correct marks and nothing was bent or broken. And that LITTERALY made my low mile HP(aside from internals) 1.6 8v run like my old tired 180k stock 1.3.

???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement