RTV drying time on oil pan - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 03:45 PM
scott400f

Default RTV drying time on oil pan

Looks like my pan is leaking as I have already done the front seal. The weather is cool here now in the 4o's at night. If I drop the oil pan how long should I wait for the RTV to dry before running the engine?

Any thing I should know before pulling the pan such as things that are in the way or problems dropping it in general.

Thanks

Scott
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Old Hand

zuk88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RTV drying time on oil pan

dropping the pan is straight forward and easy, I would let the RTV set up over night at least before driving it. Don't forget to buy a quality pan gasket, factory gaskets are the best.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Pooh-Bah

GA_ZUKI is an unknown quantity at this point

hey are you on crack LOL

you never use a oil pan gasket it will leak

go to auto zone and get a can of RIGHT STUFF

about 11.00 for the can but worth every penny

p.s

after you use this hope it is a very long time before you need to pull the pan
Old 10-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Veteran

TomKat is an unknown quantity at this point

Man, that stuff is brutal! Will never leak, but I've been the 'poor bastard' who has to remove the pan, WOW! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sarge is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I warned you about that stuff , use it SPARINGLY !!! The Right Stuff from Permatex dries and cures fast enough that you can't possibly put that pan on and fill the engine with oil to make it leak unless it's below 60*F . Below that temp, be very careful as cure times go way up . BTW, here is a list of automotive chemicals I like to use:

The Right Stuff - Permatex
Sil-Glyde - Napa (all things rubber, hose connections and electrical in a pinch . Ever try to remove a heater hose from the heater core?)
Anti-seize - Permatex (use it on anything that may stick or gall , even the wife)
Copper Seal - Permatex (header gaskets , especially stock manifold gaskets to aftermarket headers)
Lock Tite - I use this stuff by the gallon , nothing of mine ever comes loose.
#5 gasket maker , or commonly referred to as Indain Shellac - also called " po'd and want to get even with another mechanic gunk" . This stuff comes off of nothing , and really doesn't seal anything worth a rip , it's only intended purpose is to aggravate mechanics . If you use this stuff on a Weber and send it to me for repairs I will drive to your house and beat your skull in with your own carb . I recently had to remove a 2BBL Holley with a 5lb sledge from a Chevy due to this crap....
Sarge
Old 10-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Old Hand

zuk88 is an unknown quantity at this point

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
hey are you on crack LOL

you never use a oil pan gasket it will leak

go to <nobr>auto</nobr> zone and get a can of RIGHT STUFF

about 11.00 for the can but worth every penny

p.s

after you use this hope it is a very long time before you need to pull the pan

[/ QUOTE ]

When I disassembled my 1.3 six years ago it had a oil pan gasket. I didn't know the factory didn't use them, neither did the <nobr>Suzuki</nobr> dealer parts dept......they sold me one and told me to use a light coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket. It's held up after 75,000 miles, thats all I know [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh Yea....I'm not on crack.....good pale ale maybe but not crack...LOL [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement