How much play should the pinion have? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Addict

Koko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much play should the pinion have?

Well thanks to everyones suggestions, I easily removed the pinion flange and reinstalled it with rockrats adapter. After putting the axle back in and the tires back on, I got underneath to take a measurement for my driveshaft. I grabbed the pinion and realized it moved from side to side (reverse to forward not left to right) before the slack was taken up. Is this all right? I hope so, I don't want to have to disassemble everything again and bring the pinion back to the drivetrain shop....

Thanks for the help...again.

Koko
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

rockrat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much play should the pinion have?

Dude do not drive that thing that is to loose there should be ABSOLUTELY NO IN OUT MOVEMENT. The pinion nut needs to be titened more.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2003, 07:02 AM
Pooh-Bah

szki272 is on a distinguished road

realistly remuving the flange is a bad thing I am shure some will disagree but the nut is suposed to be tightened so that a certain amount of drag or pressure is on the bearings once it is together it is some what difficult to set some would say each time the nut is removed that a new crush sleeve should be used as well studding the adapter is way easier
Old 11-13-2003, 07:17 AM
Addict

It's not in and out it's side to side, is thats still bad?

Koko
Old 11-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Addict

Szki272,

I was going to stud the adapter, but I went for the cheaper route of removing the nut. The reason I didn't stud the adapter was the fact I didn't a good tool to cut the bolts with. I didn't feel like sitting there with hacksaw...

Hopefully it's all set.

Koko
Old 11-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

n0lan is an unknown quantity at this point

Koko,
In and out, side to side, are both BAD! Although I think I know what you are referring to. You mean it turns, just a little bit, right and left....is this correct? I'm not to sure how much play [turn] is supposed to be there, but I have a little play in mine as well. When I welded my rear diff on my trail rig, i noticed the same thing. I checked my DD to see how it was and it too had a little play. I'm guessing that it is supposed to be there, how much or how little is the question tho.

Hope this helps,

Nolan
Old 11-13-2003, 09:26 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Location: Kalifornia, Don\'t blame me for the insanity, I\'m a native and were in the minority!
outlawmws is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hearing you have rotational slack which would be gear engagment (gear lash), not bearing slack on the
pinion shaft, is that right?

You need a little, but if your gears were a new setup recently, it should be near imperceptable. Old gears
will wear and increase the rotational slack (Gear lash) but it sounds like something is amiss with yours.

The preload on the pinion berings is set bu the crush sleeve. Did you replace it, and did you torque the
pinion nut?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:56 AM
Addict

Outlaw,

Gear lash is what I'm referring too...

This is just frustrating, I'll never have the damn thing ready for next weekend...

I didn't replace the crush sleeve, I just removed the nut. Put on my adapter for the toy shaft, and then bolted the nut back on as tight as I could go.

Koko
Old 11-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

rockrat is an unknown quantity at this point

gear lash is ok You dont nesc. have to replace the crush sleeve. Just tighten donw the nut to the same place it was and reindent the nut.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Addict

Tkat2K is an unknown quantity at this point

It should move like that...Just not much...Not much at All...1/16 to 1/8 " either way tops...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement