1.6 16valve swap - What do I need? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Addict

mygreenihc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1.6 16valve swap - What do I need?

I got me an engine...actually, I got me a whole Tracker. My question is, what do I need to keep off of it for the swap? I know I need the engine, wiring harness, radiator, starter, alternator, and ECU.

How much of the wiring harness do I need? just what is in the engine compartment or wiring for the whole truck?

Will the fuel tank out of the tracker fit into the Samurai? Will the fuel pump from the tracker fit into the Sammi tank?

What else should I keep off of this truck?

Also, What ratio would the rear differential be in a 99 2 wheel drive tracker with a 1.6 and a 5 speed. 4.30?

When I emailed Brent a Trail tough about this a month or so ago, he said that the model engine that I needed was from 92 to 99. Does that include 1999? If it don't, then I'm screwed cause what I got is a 99 model.

ANY help would be appreciated greatly. I want to make sure that I get EVERYTHING that I need for the swap and anythjing else that I can use.

Thanks guys,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Pooh-Bah

DougO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1.6 16valve swap - What do I need?

http://php.trailtough.com/viewtopic.php?t=6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ackerdackerly is an unknown quantity at this point

I did an 8-valve but there are a few things from my experience that might help:

1. Starter. Use the Tracker starter and you won't need to modify anything on the mounting holes to get it to work.

2. Radiator. I suppose you could use the Tracker radiator if you wanted to. I had my radiator 'rodded' out shortly before I did the swap (Mine is a non-plasic unit from my '88) and it works just fine with the 1.6 8-v. If you are comfortable with the condition of your samurai radiator, use it.

3. Fuel pump. Not knowing better, I mounted an electric one on my passenger wheel well housing. It is safer to mount it on the inside of the frame in front of the gas tank. Use the tracker pump.

Save everything else. There's always Ebay...

Finally, I understand that Brent is "Da Man" when it comes to EFI harnesses. check out his website or email him for exactly what part of the harness is needed for converting it by him for your Samurai.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:53 AM
Addict

ka4yqi is an unknown quantity at this point

Brad, just let me come pickup that tracker and then you won't have to worry about them little problems..
Steve
Bowdon Ga
Old 09-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Veteran

billybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Green...
Need to know what year, if it's 2WD or 4WD... man/trans or auto/trans

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
How much of the wiring harness do I need?

[/ QUOTE ]
If the car's 4WD and man/trans... you're good to go on the ECM... provided that it's 95 or prior ...
If you need ECM #'s PM me and I'll share.
You'll need the engine harness, the harness from the ECM (must be modified)
Check with Wahzoo on this BB... in the 'for sale' section... he's very knowledgeable.
Will the fuel tank out of the tracker fit into the Samurai? Will the fuel pump from the tracker fit into the Sammi tank?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes with mods to the rear frame... and yes with mods to the sami tank.

When I emailed Brent a Trail tough about this a month or so ago, he said that the model engine that I needed was from 92 to 99. Does that include 1999? If it don't, then I'm screwed cause what I got is a 99 model.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on the smog laws in your state.... the engines are basically the same in function and design... the major difference is in the ECU and the smoggery... the OBD1 system is the easiest to deal with cuz it's an open system... OBD2 is a pain (at least in CA) cuz it's a closed system and you need ALL of the fuel system installed along with all of the EVAP sensors or you'll draw codes.

You'll also need to pirate the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) from the back of the Tracker speedo to install on the sami's..

That's all I can think of at this time... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

L8R,
Old 09-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Addict

The Tracker is a 1999, 2 wheel drive with a 5 speed manual transmission.

As for smog laws, I am in Georgia and most counties, including mine, does not do the inspection thing so smog laws do not apply, at least for now.

I assume that this system is OBDII, is this going to be more involved that I want to get in to?

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:22 PM
Veteran

billybob is an unknown quantity at this point

OK Green...

The question now is how much $ do you wanna put into this? Or how much time? IF you are a talented fabricator then the OBD2 is a slick system and can be done... BUT will be time consuming and somewhat more difficult than OBD1. PLUS the fuel pump and sending unit is still within the track/kick tank and will save you the purchase of a fuel pump and EFI filter and most of all, the internal fuel pump is much quieter and the track tank will give just about 2+ gallons more fuel capacity...

IMO, the way to go is OBD1. Cuz it's an open system the orignal sami fuel tank and lines and such are re-usable but you'll have to buy a fuel pump, and EFI fuel filter. You will also have to re-wire the current system from OBD2 to OBD1... this will be a challenge... I would strongly consider a wiring harness supplied from Trail Tough or from Whazoo... even with the new harness and explicit instructions the re-wire will still be a challenge... Know this, If I can do it, so can you!!! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

It takes time, patience and most of all homework... oh yeah and wire and tape and wiring housing and zip ties and special pliers and OE manual with the diagram... hehe

L8R
Old 09-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Addict

billybob,
Man, I sure appreciate your input. I don't want to become a bother, but I still have a few questions.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I am getting from your statements is that I can actually convert this OBDII system to a OBDI system. Is this correct. I already have the Tracker and it is a 1999 model which I believe to be the OBDII closed system. The engine has 57,000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten. A VERY large Oak tree blew down across the back of the truck rendering it pretty much useless for anything but a doner vehicle.
I would definitaly prefer the OBDI system if I can make it work. What would have to be changed on this engine to do this? Other than the fuel pump issue.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Addict

whazoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I can answer some of this
92-95=OBD1
96-99=OBD2
(copied from a posting I made on Zuwharrie.com)
Sounds like you've found a good engine! I would suggest going with an OBD1 FI harness. This is by far the easiest way to install an OBD2 engine. Its not as hard as it sounds. Your OBD2 engine compartment harness can easily be converted to an OBD1. Then you'll need to find the underdash wiring from an OBD1 donor. Again that's not too hard. Most of the salvage yards I have gone too cut the engine harness when removing the engine. As a result most of the OBD1 donors still have the underdash wiring. Most people looking for a harness leave it alone as well because its not "complete" (minus the engine harness). The tough part can be finding an OBD1 ECM. I have seen several of these ECMs pass through ebay this summer for $99 without a bid! You could get lucky.

Aside from the fuel pump, you'll need to find an OBD1 EGR valve. The engine will actually run fine with the OBD2 EGR you'll just get an EGR error code from the OBD1 ECM. You can always add the EGR later as one becomes available.
You can still use the OBD2 distributor (I think its a cleaner install).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement