Alternative to Hi-Lift Jack? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2000, 12:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yankee Tim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alternative to Hi-Lift Jack?

Just got my new 48" jack from Northern Tool. It's called a "3-1/2 ton 48" Farm Jack". I was in need of a jack and this appeared to be a low-cost alternative.

The farm jack pictured in the Northern catalog looked slightly different than the Hi-Lift, which is also pictured in the catalog. But the one they sent is not the one pictured. After checking out my buddy's Hi-Lift, the one I got is a clear knock-off, right down to the red handle. I mean they are virtually identical with exception to the name, and the sticker price.

The 37" and 48" Hi-Lift are listed as $48.99 and $52.99 respectively. My 48" farm jack is listed as $34.99. My buddy bought his for $75!!! (and was he pissed when I told him the price of mine)

My question, does anyone have the same jack and any comments of good/bad?

For the price, this seems like a real winner. For those of you on a tight budget (or Scottish like me), here's a way to save some green.

I'll be at the Zukfari if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Yankee Tim

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2000, 08:36 PM
Addict

slowpoke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Alternative to Hi-Lift Jack?

Love mine, I've lifted JD 4020's , massey's, trucks, zuk's, portable buildings, plus it can be used as a winch, though u only get 3 1/2
to 4 ft. at a time. Some times i think its better than a wife, LOL

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-2000, 10:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Billy Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

Got 2 of them. Had the first one for about 5 years. Bought the second one from a local drunk for $20. It is less than a year old, plus it is the big one. Love them, can't beat them. Like slowpoke said, you can use them for anything.
Glad your happy. Got mine mounted to the spare tire. It is vertical. Neat idea, I got it from a fellow zuker at the recent Tiftonia meet here in Tn. Works great.
Later,
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Old 04-10-2000, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a Highlift also, can't beat it. I was wondering if anyone else could share ideas of how they mount theirs? I still have stock bumpers, so it can't fit there without blocking the turn signals, and there is few other places (without a hardtop, roof rack, or actual interior space.) I figure that I will either have to find a way to put it on the spare, or just leave it at home until I get a new bumper.

thanks
Marcus

Old 04-11-2000, 08:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yankee Tim is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to mount it on the top of the hoop on my Calmini tube bumper, but it interferes with the lights (I have a 2" body lift). Plus adding an additional 40 lbs. to the front didn't seem wise, given the winch and bumber combo.

I did find a nifty spot inside mounted to the roll-bar. Makes for a more secure (theft-proof) location as its not easily seen. I have no back seat ('94 models didn't come with one) so space isn't an issue.

Anyone else have any mounting ideas?

Just to reiterate, the jack I have is NOT a actual "Hi-Lift" brand, but a knock-off costing HALF the price of a Hi-Lift.

Yankee Tim

Old 04-11-2000, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I paid $42.99 for my genuine 48" all cast red hi-lift jack from Tractor Supply Company.
The one from northnern was made in china. It will work ok on Zuk just dont try to lift a heavy tractor.
Actually the best jack for Zuk is the air bag. This is very common and cheap in Australia but
I coudl not find reasonalby priced in US. Al the fire emergency equipment wants at least $400.

87 Turbo
Locked and Rolled
Old 04-12-2000, 12:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Billy Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man, here is a idea to mount your jack. I use a stock rim for a spare, but I imagine any spoke wheel will work. I got a u-bolt for a spring and layed it horizontaly in the rim. Used one spoke to "hook" the u-bolt around. The two studs sticking out past the tire, you insert through 2 holes in the "stem" of the jack. I then used a spacer on each bolt and left the studs long to make hanging the jack easier. I also fabricated a handle mount for it. Took a piece of old steel, bent it into a L shape. Drilled a hole and mounted it to the u-bolt. The jack now is mounted vertically on the spare tire. I hope I have explained it good enough for you. If you have access to a fax machine, email me with a fax number for you, I can draw it on paper and fax it to you.
Hope this helps...
I don't get the credit, I copyed a fellow zuker. I did make the handle restraint though....

Later,
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.