How to remove a broken easy out??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 AM
bord

Default How to remove a broken easy out???

Some of you may have read my earlier post about removing a broken bolt from my 1.6 head. Well, I go to the auto parts store and buy what I thought was a quality easy out bolt extractor. I soak the bolt in liquid wrench overnight and the next day drill the hole...so far so good...screw the easy out in there and as soon as I put a little torque on it...SNAP!

Well, after I throw a little temper-tantrum, I gather myself and proceed to try and drill the thing out. It aint gonna happen!!!

What do I do now? I have heard sometimes you can chisel them out with a hammer and small punch and others say you can get them out with a carbide bit???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Veteran

TomKat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to remove a broken easy out???

When I'm lucky enough to have this happen to me at work, the only way I've gotten them out is to smash it to pieces. The easy-out is very hard,(brittle) and breaks up usually with several good smacks with a punch and hammer..Good Luck!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:30 AM
Veteran

billybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Bord... now you've done it! This is the most trying thing in DIY! If you have the space, drill with a carbide bit along the sides of the ez-out. If not, you may try to drill it out oversized and then repair it with a heli-coil insert. Contact a machine shop in your area (one you are confident with) and ask them for assistance.

Good Luck,
Old 05-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Addict

Fastone_84401 is an unknown quantity at this point

Um, yeah this one's gonna cost you a head gasket and machine shop time. Billy Bob's right about that. Its really unlikely that you can manage this job while the head's on the truck, you need to be able to clamp it down and go after it with a drill press or milling machine to get the extractor and stud out of the head.

So sorry... [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Pooh-Bah

szki272 is on a distinguished road

there was a guy around here that had a portable edm machine his cards were at alot of the local auto parts stores he would work on removing broken drills taps and bolt extractors it was a small machine that worked by arcing away the metal so it didnt matter how hard it was only that it would conduct electricity
Old 05-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sarge is an unknown quantity at this point

Go find an older welder , and ask him if he can burn it out . Make sure to tell them it's in an aluminum head , this aluminum is soft but will stand the heat . I just did the same thing yesterday with a Snap-On tap , high speed steel no less . 8x1.25 tap broke off 1/4" inside the hole , almost into the bottom . Found out part of the original bolt was still in there, and had the tap wedged tight . Also broke off a punch in there as well , just fired up the torch and melted the whole mess then picked out the slag bit by bit . This was on the tcase mounting holes , had to heli-coil it to make it work . No big deal , but took an extra hour to fix it . Anti-seize rules , use it liberally.....
Sarge
Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

Zook_Junki is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont try drilling again your likley to f~#k the head and get in all sorts of mess even if you do get the tool out. Remember it broke the first time.
Best bet at this point if you realy need the head is professional spark errosion,, shouldent be to expensive.
If you dont realy need the head then by allmeans have a go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement