Zuk "diesels" when engine shut off and Weber ?s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2002, 05:20 AM
bord

Default Zuk \"diesels\" when engine shut off and Weber ?s

My 87 Samurai had some valve ping, was idling a little high, and running quite rich. I adjusted the idle and set the timing, which was about 14* BTDC. All of my valve ping and noise is gone, no more black smoke, and it idles good but when I shut it off it "diesels", thats what my dad calls it. When I turn the engine off the engine will die for a second and then try to keep running. I have a Weber carb so what do I need to do to fix this?

Also, there are two screws on the Weber that I adjusted. One is a larger flat screw that is on the passenger side, it seems to affect the idle speed, so is this the idle speed screw? The other is on the back of the carb under the throttle linkage and has a spring around it, is this the rich/lean screw???

Which one of these do I turn to fix my "dieseling" problem???

Thanks
Jason
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2002, 08:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Zuk \"diesels\" when engine shut off and Weber ?s

I dont know but you may have lots of carbon buildup that's keeping the engine running?????? Fuel cleaner/decarbonizer?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-03-2002, 08:36 AM
Addict

Zukinator is an unknown quantity at this point

Your dieseling could be caused by a combination of factors. When you set your timing did you use a tach. to make sure that you were setting it when the rpm was @ 800 (with the vac. adv. diconnected)? If your engine speed was off, the timing will be off as well.

If your idle speed is too high it could also contribute to your run-on problem.

Not having the fuel mixture right could also cause it -- I don't have any experience with webers (others on here do and should be able to get you straightened out) but from what you have described, I would guess that the one with the spring around it is the idle speed - if it is external and moves the position of the throttle. If the large flat screw is kind of in-set into the body of the carb, I would guess this is the mixture screw - depending on the mixture it will make the idle change. A rule of thumb that I use with carbs and the mixture is to lean it up until it starts to slow down the idle or roughens the idle (turning it in slowly) then richen it up by 1/4 turn. This should get you pretty close.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:06 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Location: Kalifornia, Don\'t blame me for the insanity, I\'m a native and were in the minority!
outlawmws is an unknown quantity at this point

Zukinator is on the right track. Dieseling in a gas engine is caused by a rich condition at idle. On a stock carb the Fuel Cut Soloniod cuts the fuel supply to lean it when the ignition is off. In my experiance, the webers have that cut switch, but my webers are old.

I would suspect too rich an idle mix, which is that idle mix screw near the base, too high an idle speed, or carbon hotspots as Nowhere menitoned, in that order.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

CrowHorse is an unknown quantity at this point

Bord, I have a Weber CD that has the tuning instructions as well as jetting and rebuliding info. Send me your adddy and I'll fire one off to you. It's free.....
Old 08-03-2002, 01:16 PM
bord

That would be great. Check your PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement