Samurai Timing Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2002, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Samurai Timing Problems

Hey all,

Last week, I performed a tune-up on my '87 Samurai and set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC after adjusting the idle to 850rpm per the factory instructions. The Sammy ran great for several days until I noticed that the idle had jumped up to 1100rpm and there was now excessive "pinging" during acceleration.

I rechecked the timing and was surprised to see that the 10 degree mark had advanced enough to no longer be visible through the timing window. I corrected the timing and for the next several days, the Sam ran like new with little or no "pinging."

Today, I noticed that the excessive "pinging" was back and that the idle had moved back up to around 1100 rpm. I checked the timing and again, it had somehow advanced itself. I checked my distributor hold-down bolt and it was tight. I checked the tension on the timing belt which was also within spec. What could be causing this problem?

Thanks. John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2002, 09:06 PM

dparker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Samurai Timing Problems

only 2 things i could think of timing belt streching , or your springs and wieght in your dist are wore out
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-2002, 09:29 PM
IMC2112

Default Re: Samurai Timing Problems

Check you cam gear. If it is a steel gear, the slot where the locating pin maybe elongated/oversize.

Philip
Rotational Dynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement