How much does your samurai weigh ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2002, 09:38 AM
Old Hand

DOABLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much does your samurai weigh ??

Hey ya'll
I stoped by a big truck stop by my house and got on a cat certified scale to weigh the zuk. With out my weight it was 2,700 lb , I thought the samurai was around 2,200 lb? , just didn't think the tires and skid plates,roll bar etc.etc. added up that much. Does any one elseknow the weight of their samurai
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2002, 11:05 AM
mikrosilakhan

Default Re: How much does your samurai weigh ??

ya mines around 2350 or so.... Them tires and all add up quik.. Not to mention if you tanks full thats a hundred pounds ect.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-29-2002, 11:25 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

rich_d is an unknown quantity at this point

mine used to weigh 2000 even, but has been gaining a lot of weight this last year.....with no diets in sight...LOL I am wondering how much weight I have added now....
Old 05-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Addict

mmartian1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would guess mine is in the high 2000's. With heavy tires, a full-cage with seat tie-ins, belly skid, Wheeler's front bumper, heavy rock sliders, and lots of steel. And a winch is going to be added at some point also along with additional tubing to the cage.

Old 05-29-2002, 04:45 PM
Addict

Ionsponge is an unknown quantity at this point

Short answer = 2300 pounds (guess)

Maximum verbosity below...

Ackh, this is a sore subject. The samurais in stock form are rugged because of their weight. The first mods I did to my sammi were towards cutting the weight since its engine wasn't running great and I needed to improve the power to weight ratio to get anywhere in hilly Los Angeles area that I lived (is mountainy a word?).

I was confident that I shaved off around 200 pounds and it really made a difference! I could spin a tire with little effort (mostly because the rear end had lost so much weight).

Things I tossed or modified (weights are purely guesses):
A tow thing (was a trailer dingy)~75pounds
stock rear tow bar thing ~20 pounds
Back seat, seatbelts, bracket ~30 pounds
doors ~75 pounds
spare ~30 pounds
paneling, carpet, asphalt coating ~20 pounds
switched to lighter seats ~15 pounds
soft top, all hardware, even screw buttons ~12 pounds
radio, speakers, wiring, and holder on dash ~16 pounds
jack and bracket ~7 pounds
swapped in lighter battery ~10 pounds

Yeah sure, more vonerable. But less inertia too.

But then came the beefy suspension ~add 35 pounds
The 32s (though I kept em skinny) ~add 200 pounds
The front cage ~add 40 pounds

Wow, back where I started...

On the trail, it gets worse:
Tools ~add 30 pounds
Food ~add 20 pounds
Passenger ~add 0 pounds (hey, I'm not getting in trouble) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Spare ~add 100 pounds

I almost wish to start over with just an engine swap and a full cage. I am all about the "light equals might" cult.

Where is that fiberglass hood?
Where is the poly body?
Where are all those cool aluminum bumpers from the Japanese catalogs?

***sigh***

At 2100 pounds for the convertable, the stock power to weight I think was over 30 to 1.

With the 16v 1.6 at 95 ponies a stocker would have a power to weight of about 22 to 1 which is ...acceptable.

At 2700 pounds though, you are back to over 28. Almost where you started (but that's only if you have already upgraded to the 16v 1.6. I won't make you cry by showing the math on the 1.3)

This is where the 1.8 is now neccessary. It has to be doable.... 120 ponies..... Heck, I'd consider a body lift to make it happen! And can you imagine a stocker with 120 ponies? I can.... because 17 to 1 is where my T100 was at... mmmmmmmm

I want it.

I need it.

Give it to me.

Vendors, please somehow make it happen!

Old 05-29-2002, 05:18 PM
Addict

Ionsponge is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember this article from a motorcycle mag. Semi on topic and kind of funny... We truly do care more about what goes in our engines than in our stomachs...

Ahhh, the quest to increase the power to weight ratio...

Cutting the first 15 percent is relatively easy, and within the expense limits of the dedicated enthusiest.

Cutting the next 15 percent takes serious engineering and is generally outside the scope of joe public.

The factory race teams spend tens of thousands to lose every ounce beyond that.

That carbon fiber hood you have been eyeballing will save you 50 pounds and cost over a thousand dollars.

But look at yourself in the mirror. Your expensive ride has been on a diet since the day you bought it, and you are averaging a gain of a pound a month. That is simply bad economics!

An annual health club membership is about $400. If you cut back on beer and started to make better eating decisions that membership would be paid for, and then some.

~and all the weight you lose is above the center of gravity, effectively lowering it... for free.

So the next time you are considering magnesium bolts at twenty bucks a pop... remember the load of bricks your ignorring.

This has been a public service anouncement.

(P.S. Just pointing out the irony. ~not out to hurt anyones feelings.)
Old 05-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Veteran

Farther is an unknown quantity at this point

Ionsponge: I hear ya!! I go though the same thing when backpacking. Why spend $400 for that 1 pound 9 oz. sleeping bag and $75 for the 2 oz. titanium pot when I am carrying 20 extra pounds on my A$$.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:12 PM
Old Hand

DOABLE is an unknown quantity at this point

lonsponge, your second reply was great LOL. Took my son in laws samurai down to the scales ( it is bone stock ) it weighted in at 2,200lb. 500 extra pounds of armor,winch etc.( not counting me ) and the whole time I was thinking that my 1.3 was not doing good, now I'm really impressed with the little 1.3, at least I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since I've had the zuk. There is a bright side to it after all.LOL
Old 05-30-2002, 07:05 AM
Old Hand

GRW is an unknown quantity at this point

I see the numbers, BUT the 1600 16V run's alot better then the 1300 does (even with the added weight).
I have driven new sami's (86-89 along with a basicly new 410) and tracker/kick's (89time frame), and I have a 1600 16V in my swb sami. The 16V (with my heavy sami) smokes the 1300 in a stock sami. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
But, I like the sound of a 1800/2000 kit. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2002, 09:21 AM
Veteran

wanderer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

you want a laugh - stock Niva, 2600 lbs, stock 1.6 SOHC carbed engine - 72 HP 36 llbs per HP, AND its full time 4x4 - WAY more driveline losses than a P/T system!!! Unlike Zuk motors though, a stock Niva makes 98 ft./lbs of torque @ 2400-3000 rpm , which gets it around well enough most places - just dont try doing more than 75-80 mph.

chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement