what is the smallest winch anyone uses ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Suzuki > Suzuki GEO All

Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2002, 07:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default what is the smallest winch anyone uses ?

will a 2500 lb winch be practical? With snatch block I would think it would work. Any experience ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2002, 07:57 AM
Old Hand

tazuki88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what is the smallest winch anyone uses ?

What Warn Winches told me when I called them is take the wieght of your vehicle and times it by 1.5 and that should be your smallest winch... But I guess it's all on how you plan on useing it. For me my 4000lb is good enough !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2002, 08:10 AM
Addict

ben427 is an unknown quantity at this point

Billduck has a 3000lb winch and it is usless . I would say spend the bucks and get a 6000lb warn at least.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Myself and 2 friends have roasted 6000lb winches on our Samurais. We're all using 8000lb winches now.

The way we look at it now.... its better to spend money only once buying the best thing than spend it several times trying to cheap out, and several frustrating 4x4 trips later having to buy larger anyway.

YMMV
Old 04-26-2002, 09:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I use a More Power Puller, I would call it a come along, but that description doesn't do it justice. I've had it since '98 and it has gotten me out of a lot of stucks, and I didn't have to spend tons of money. I know a winch is a wonderful thing, but if you can't afford one then I think a More Power Puller is great to give you "winch like" confidence.

Justin D(oesn't have a winch) Fender
Old 04-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Veteran

longzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

i use a s4500 that i got a good deal on, but wish that i had waited a little longer to get an 8000lb winch instead.

just my opinion..Sean
Old 04-26-2002, 09:12 AM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it won't be enough.

I have seen 6,000 lb winches stall repeatedly, so I would suggest an 8,000 lb winch as a minimum.

I also made some cranes, that fit in the class III receiver hitch, for my company, and used the Warn 2,500 lb winches on them. We were removing storm water grates out on a flightline, which weigh 600 lbs each, and the winch would stall out occasionally. We weren't using them doubled up though, but the point is, they aren't lifting 1,250 pounds on a single line.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Veteran

Farther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Justin. Simple is good. I also carry a More Power Puller and Hi-Lift Jack with a Jack-Mate. Works for me without the install/bumper/cost/weight etc. You pay alot for the convienence of a winch.

But if you have the money and that is the type of wheeling you do, go for the 8000 lbs. winch.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Good GOD! 8k winch?! I've got a 2500 and 2 snatch blocks (only use one at a time) with 2 other heavy duty comealongs. The only bad thing about my little 2500 is I have to let her cool down after a hard winch (10 feet in a badddddd bog). I've got a good sized comealong that works wonders also. My little warn can go for 2 minutes strong with a snatch block before she needs a cool down. Going with a larger winch= faster and longer.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Also a note I always post on the winch subject. ***ALLLLL WINCHES ARE LB RATED FOR #0 LAYER ON THE DRUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***********
Hint, if you need to winch 10 feet with an 8k winch, you'll maybe get 6000lb total.. Check warn.com, look @ the lb to cable layer # raitio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement