Journeyman

Re: 300 hp wrx?

yup, the evo is coming...SOON! http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/EvoOffer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your dealer is a tool, and has no idea how the wrx boost control system functions.

A stock WRX runs between 13.5 to 14.5 psi max boost pressure, tapering off to 9-10psi-ish at redline. Depending on the dyno, stock WRX's have dyno'd at between 165 and 180 wheel HP.

You can use any number of aftermarket boost control devices to turn up the boost pressure, but the stock turbo on the WRX is fairly small, and is only good to about 280 crank HP, which should be around 230 whp.

There are several bolt-on aftermarket turbo options available for the wrx. The largest of these should yield (with proper tuning) around 500 crank hp. The stock fuel system is safe (<85% IDC) to around 320 crank hp, but people have pushed it beyond that.

Anything you want to know, just ask.

Austin
02 WRX/TEC3 Engine Management/VF34
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

bleeed that boost. you car run about 14 lbs safely. go to a parts shop and get a vaccum hose t next go to a pet shop and get a valve for fish tank air hoses. you have to tap into the hose that goes from the turbo to the waste gate. basically you have to bleed some of the boost that the waste gate sees. you could poke a pin hole in it and it would do the same thing, but you couldnt adjust it. dont run too much or you will hear very unpleasant pinging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can do it ghetto style with a valve from an aquarium shop or you can spend money and get a boost controller.
$2 or $300. bleed it to about 12 or 14 lbs. free horsepower rules.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Umm your dealer is misleading you friend... run away, and run away fast and find a reliable source of information. I own a WRX as well and have spent well over $5000 in engine and suspension modifications. That including front mount intercooler, vf23 turbo, BPM Twister turbo-back exhaust system, TurboXS UTEC engine management, and Sti injectors with fuel rail mods, and a Blitz boost control system. Stock, the WRX pushes 14.7 psi of boost @ ~ 227 CRANK HP depending on fuel octane and elevation. Second, The wastegate on the stock turbo is internal... since it's a TD04... the same as Mitsubishi uses on the Elcipse turbo models. If you modify this, you will run the risk of over boost and detonation which means certain death to a forced induction engine. After all the mods I have put into the rex (WRX), I have dynoed 264 HP to the wheels running at 16 PSI of boost.. which is the sweet spot it seems on our vehicles with the above mentioned mods... mind you that is all four wheels and the loss from crank through the center diff is greater than 20%. In essence well over 300 motor HP. To whomever talked to the kid saying he has over 400 HP... well.. he has one of the most powerful WRX's in North America and would be in every tuner magazine... and I doubt that. Here are some sites that will teach you more about your car than you ever dreamed.. www.NASIOC.com and www.i-club.com from there you will find links to Cobb Tuning as someone above has mentioned... Trey knows his stuff... and also Vishnu Performance... one of the foremost in Subaru WRX and forced induction tuning... also try www.turboXS.com and www.BPMracing.com. Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to set things straight.. yes they are awesome machines, but it takes a lot of work and money to break the 300 HP mark and still keep a daily drivable car. Hole shots... you can't be beat, top end... they will lag from 80+MPH due to aerodynamic flaw. They are made for torque and driving in all conditions, not to be speed demons. But in case you are wondering 1/4 mile times on my car are around 12.6 consistant with 12.35 being my best.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:27 PM
cleartoy

If you want more output from it, get a boost controller and 3" exhaust!

Go to the local 7-11 Walmart buy a Turbo Magazine!
post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Addict

Quote:
there trick cars..i talked to a kid a week ago he had one he said he got in toned and its pushin almost 400hp but he said its at about 12pds of boost..dont know if he was bull$hitin me but there sweet cars tho
My buddy has an STI with just a piggy back and a down pipe WITH stock exaust and had it tuned on a dyno and its puttin out around 320-330 at the wheels. And he just ordered some crazy @$$ $1800 turbo. I had picks,, but its pushin like 60 on a 3 bar map.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM
ema
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug_Shot View Post
My buddy has an STI with just a piggy back and a down pipe WITH stock exaust and had it tuned on a dyno and its puttin out around 320-330 at the wheels. And he just ordered some crazy @$$ $1800 turbo. I had picks,, but its pushin like 60 on a 3 bar map.
yeah, I've heard about it as well. I actually read two articles yesterday about Evo X. I couldn't deny that the performance and the mitsubishi parts were improved. but I can't also deny the fact that many feels a bit awkward towards their current look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode