Polaris Electrical issues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Snowmobiles and Sledding > Snowmobile Performance and Tech

Snowmobile Performance and Tech Share your tech tips, show off your project, ask a question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2001, 07:09 PM
Matt M38A1

Default Polaris Electrical issues

My buddies 92 RXL has an electrical issue, that has caused me to come up with several questions for YOU.

1. The headlight is VERY dim, and the hand warmers are no longer functioning. Anyone experienced this before?

2. How does one go about testing the voltage regulator?

3. Testing the stator?

We recognize that this machine has two separate electrical systems. The DC system is working fine as the fuel injection and relevant controls operate fine, and the battery continues to remain charged. Also it appears that the igintion is working fine as well (I know this is not DC). It is the AC side that I beleive is the issue. We have not torn into it yet, but I assume that after the power comes off the motor it would have to be converted to DC for the battery/EFI, correct? If so it would be logical that the coil/stator is ok, since the battery remains charged and the iginition is working.

Is this simply an issue on the accessories circuit?

He's all ready to go drop 5 or 6 hundred on a coil.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2001, 01:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Polaris Electrical issues

Well I have not worked with a RXL but I have a 92 Indy 650 that had the same problems. If you don't have a wiring schematic I would recommend that you go down to your dealer and copy off one from their service manuals. In my case it was the voltage regulator (these are only $20 bucks so they are quick and easy) that was shorting out the voltage sent from the stator coils. On my sled the hot wire for the 12V line (which supplies the headlights, tach, heaters, etc.) is a yellow wire that also connects to the voltage regulator along with the ground wire (usually brown). When measuring the volgate on the hot wire while it is connected to the regulator it should be around 12-20V or so. Also on my sled there are 2 coils (stator coils) that are used to supply voltage to the regulator. If you disconnect the hot wire from the regulator and measure the resistance from the hot wire to the engine chassis it should meausure really low resistance (this is because coils have low impedance and if not, then the coil may be open or the ground wire on the stator may be becoming loose). It really just sounds like a bad voltage regulator and hopefully that will be the problem. Good luck.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2001, 06:26 AM
Matt M38A1

Thanks trav.

In the last couple weeks I've seen a few posts similar to mine, and everyone has been saying "voltage regulator". I've been trying to tell my buddy this. Now we know how to test it. Thanks again

Old 01-10-2001, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

FYI if the voltage reg goes away on Polaris machines usually it will blow the light bulbs because the output is AC and the bulbs are DC. You are correct that there are 2 systems on these machines, your problems may be the lighting coil going away. Polaris service manuals have a resistance test which you can do without tearing the machine down. I'd try that.

Old 01-10-2001, 08:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are several tests for the stator.
1. Check stator resistance, a very low resistance, usually about .5 ohms.
2. Check unregulated voltage by disconnecting the wiring harness from stator and running engine to 3000 RPM and testing for between 15 to 45 volts AC. Note your lamps and other accessories will be damaged if they are not disconnected from this high voltage.
3. Check short circuit current. about 5 amps AC at engine idle.
4. Check headlight output with regulator disconnected by slowing raising engine RPM's to get good light output. Don't raise engine speed any higher as this will cause lamps to burn out. shutdown, reconnect regulaor and bring engine RPM's back to previous, if lamp is less bright with regulator than you have a regulator problem.
Note that any of these tests if done incorrectly can cause damage to your lamps or other electrical components due to higher than operating voltage applied to these components. This information is taken from the Polaris master service manual and I have given it to you in a condensed form. do this work at your own risk!

Visit our homepage at
http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker
check pictures/snowmobiling
Have 1999 600 RMK for sale!
Old 01-11-2001, 06:47 AM
Matt M38A1

Thanks alot Bike maker, Could you clarify checking Short cicuit current?

How/where do I check this?

Old 01-11-2001, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Everyone here has given you some good info. yeah it probably is the regulator. All the new Polaris's I've bought come with an electrical wiring diagram. I posted one on my web site. It is for the 01 800 RMK and is probably similar to any polaris. http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker/pictur...ngDiagram.html
Checking coils is always difficult. there can be an intermittent, open or short. Often a winding will short to another winding which will cause reduced output and checking current output is a good test for this. a standard resistance check usually won't catch this.
disconnect stator output to wiring harness. set ammeter for current, 10 ampere range. connect across stator output. start engine and measure current at idle. current year polaris's should read about 5 amps.
the total current output from the stator is flowing through the ammeter. a shorted winding would produce significantly less current.

Visit our homepage at
http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker
check pictures/snowmobiling
Have 1999 600 RMK for sale!
Old 01-12-2001, 06:51 AM
Matt M38A1

Thanks again

After posting my question I looked in my 96 Ultra manual and saw the wiring diagram (it's a little closer to 92 than the 01 manual). With all the answers, I think we'll get it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement