RMK800 OR AC800 - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Performance and Tech Share your tech tips, show off your project, ask a question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 12:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: RMK800 OR AC800

What's this, AC finally shows up with a big boy toy and demands respect? Where have they been the last several years? I had to go with Polaris when AC took a sabatical from deep snow.
Fact of the matter is, I have owned more brands of sleds than are even on the market today. And two of the very best technical riders I know are on MM 700's. The biggest jerks I know ride Polaris! Probably an ego thing about being on top the most or first or whatever happens to be trippeng them out that particular day. I know better than to ever say that my particular brand is better than anyone elses. Because just when you say that someone shows up and does something to prove you wrong. All of the brands are very close in a stock setup. And yes there is a lot to say about rider technique. I just love to ride with guys that think they are king of the hill. In most cases they find that they are not! Not saying that I am by any means - I just love to ride. And I do it a lot. I don't ride 5 to 6 times a week, but I will put 3000 to 3500 miles on a sled in a year. The best thing that anyone can do is get to know their sled inside and out. Learn everything there is to know about it from how to fix it, ride it, care for it properly and yes - even show it off when you have the chance. What I don't like is the guy that thinks he has a hot sled when it will take him straight to the top of the hill with out ever having to work. I admire the guy that has to take an extra run at the hill and really work the hill to make it to the top. He is a much better rider and the one that I would rather ride with. Too many guys out there have way too much HP. They would be better riders if they would learn to handle their sled better.

I don't believe that I have a closed mind on the subject. I am just loyal to the manufacturer that I believe is making the right changes that fit my riding preferance. I have tried every major manufacturer out there today and keep comming back to Polaris. That doesn't mean that I am saying anything bad about any brand. I have seen both of these new sleds now and know first hand which one I am choosing for my new sled next year. And no, I will never take my powder special where I will take the RMK 800. It simply will not make it. Not in 100 trys at the hill. And when we jump off the top falling 30 feet I would much rather be on a Yamaha for the landing. I would love to have a different sled for every kind of riding we do, but that really is not practical now is it. I own four sleds, three of the four major brands right now. I will most likely ride the RMK 800 most of the time next year.
How many brands do you support? Or should I say, which of all the brands you own are supporting you?

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let me just start out Mark, with, the only thing I disagree with in your last post. Arctic Cat never left the powder market. For a while they did not make a real great all around big bore sled for powder. The thundercat was way to bulky and heavy in the deap stuff and would dig a trench a mile deep if you tried to crack the throttle open in the trees. But while all this was going on they did make one of the very best all around sleds on the market. The powder special 580 is still one of the best powder sleds out there. It was a sled that never required much tunning out of the box and would take an advanced rider into some really incredable areas. This is one of those sleds that as you said, may not run straight up a hill the first or second run but what a great sled for all around mountain/powder riding. Great sled for the 600 class. I still have one as bone stock as the day I bought it with a few accessories installed (mountain bars, running board grips from the p.s. 700, and a couple of other little things like that). I take it out every once in a while just for kicks.

I do agree with you about the rest of your post. I believe that most riders out there need to go back about 3 mods ago and learn to ride a snowmobile that takes some skill to make it that that back country bowl or make it to the top of that ridge. Learn what a real side hill is and how to stair step a mountain face to get to the top. To many people are caught up in the hp of these new sleds and get themselves in bad situations that a skilled rider could get out of on a lesser sled and these guys are finding themselves stranded overnight and need search and rescue to come find them. I've seen some real bad acceidents caused on steep mountain terrain by riders that have sleds that can get them there and no skill on how to handle it once they do get there.

As far as what brands I support. I like them all. I grew up riding cat and therefore I have an owner loayalty love for them. The P.S. 700 I ride, has a certain "feel" in the type of riding I like that makes it the best fit sled for me. Although I will say I enjoy the feel of the 670 Summit X for much the same reason. It is probably the best side hilling machine out there. I am considering the 2001 800 summit X next year. I want to ride all three before I make my choice. The new Mountain Cat Has some things I really like about it as well, and I've heard such good things about the polaris I would be stupid to not try it. The last Polaris I had put a bad taste in my mouth because it blew a crank everytime I turned around. (96 XLT). The same can be said for my P.S. 700 because of the problems I have had with it. The difference is the way Arctic Cat handled the problems compared to the way Polaris handled the XLT nightmare. Arctic Cat really earned a lot of loyalty over the last two years because of the way they did not forget the consumer. Though I will admit it took some pushing of the right buttons to get them to cover some items.

Next season will hopefully be a lot better and maybe the differences between the sleds will be more defined as snow conditions improve. This year has been one of the worst I can remember. Much of the year a nicely tuned 600 would have been more than enough.

Mark, where in Idaho are you?

Paul

post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Been in the Boise area now for a year. Relocated back here after 10 years in Orem.

It's good to be back!

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2000, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Both have about 135hp but the RMK has about 15-20 more lbs of torque which is a lot in a sled when most only post under 100. I've heard a lot of that engine and it is unbelievable in power, more than a cat. Go with the trusty brand, too.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2000, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was once a polaris boy, and I know they make a great sled. However I have herd a few things about this new 800 engine from AC. I am not trying to lay any smack down, but next year is going to be a hell of a ride for all the new 800 twins. Can't wait to line them up. P.S my first sled ever was a Ski Doo the worst piece of garbage ever made. In my opinion they make it to run for a short time, not a long time. Icecube

post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 12:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are crazy to think the Polaris motor has that much more torque. I don't know where you are getting your number, but Polaris and Cat are both claiming around 100 ft-lbs, with Cat claiming a few more ponies.

Corey in Utah

post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, here's what I know from mostly magazines. AC has 140HP and 100 ftlbs. Ski-doo has 140hp and unkown torque. Polaris has (2000 model) 127HP and 120 ftlbs. Someone on this newsgroup was saying that Polaris has tweaked their engine (CDI and ?) to produce about 130 HP. mrpwr is correct concerning that much torque for polaris cause snowtech magazine dynoed a 800 in last fall/winter's magazine.

Trails are made for flatlanders.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you really believe that the Polaris has that much more torque? The mags I have seen say Polaris is just under 100...

Corey

post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2000, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buy American!! If you plan on keeping your sled for any length of time and plan to modify it, the new 800 twin parts are cheap!!
Complete motor with 800 clutch, 40mm carbs, recoil housing, cdi etc... ready to bolt into a sled($2400 /-). I did snow check a 01RMK
and have been a Polaris rider for 4 years. I test rode both the 800 himark and the MC 800 and decided they were very close to the RMK, any advantage going to rider weight/ability . Being a mod person, I thought that going with the USA built twin is best! Were splitting hairs comparing these 3 models.

post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2000, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I heard 10hp on the 01RMK for the re-programmed cdi box and their new head design(different squish angle and 15 more psi).
136-138hp with these changes, we will see soon enough....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode