Tuning for SLP single pipe - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Performance and Tech Share your tech tips, show off your project, ask a question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 09:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tuning for SLP single pipe

60-7, I added 2 grams on the tip and 4 on the heel.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input. I put the pipe in and it makes the sled run strong where I want it to. For now I'm running Polaris 62 weights and it's running at 78-8000rpm in set up/wet powder snow. The plugs look good with the slp recommended jetting, and I'll go to the dark blue spring (also recommended)to see what that does for the engagement. I have not yet put in the boost bottle but will this week. The heelclickers will go in next year for sure. It sound like they are just what I'm looking for. The snow here in the Bitterroots is already looking like mid April snow, so I'm not going to spend a bunch of time and money getting it perfect for anything other than big powder riding conditions. Hate to beg, but please let us get another 3 feet or so!!!!!!

post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 98RMK 700 it has a 141x2 track, SLP single pipe, Boysen reeds, Cat roller secondary 52-44 helix yellow spring #3hole,10-58 wts dark blue spring, skock gearing(21-41),MJ158,Pilot40 stock needles at 3.It is spinning the track at 38-42mph with the RPM at 7500-7800.The piston wash is about 1/2" and the EGT tops out at 1200f when riding above 6000ft with temp at -5c- 5c.
I am told that I should be using 62gram wts and have 162mjs I doubt it will pull 62g wts and it is still to rich with 158mjs. I have had other rider tell me it is working very good,has any one out there got any coments on these numbers.Also I have lightened the sled up by 35lbs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 12:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's what I think, but I may be wrong. I think you should run cat or comet weights if you are going to run a cat secondary. You need to run that pipe at 7900 /- 100 RPM. The Cat secondary is more efficient, and should require less weight in the drive clutch. You can try dropping your drive weight by 2 grams first and see if that helps. I was pulling over 40 mph track speed with my stock RMK with slp single and 141".

Corey

post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been toying with putting the single on my '00 700rmk also. A friend put doubles on his 99 recently and spent a wonderful powder day this weekend near Jackson tuning to no end. Sounds like the single gives a good smooth power band without some of the headaches. Is the reed needed, or like the boost bottle, used to squeeze out a little more performance?

post #16 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have found that the boost bottle was not necessary with either pipe(s). The reeds do make the bottom end better, but I have been running my stock reeds lately. I have a set of V-Force 2 reeds for sale, hardly used, yours for $175. The needle of choice for me is the 1371J. Works very good on twins....

Corey

post #17 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 01:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is what my 10 year old daughter says - "I run my sled stock so I can stay on the trail!" And "I don't want to go straight up that hill anyway, I prefer to take the scenic route." Reality is that she can go places on her stock 500 that I can't go on my modified 700! I only modify and tune my sled because I am fat and need all the power I can get!

Mark
PowderBound
post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm done tuning on the rmk for this season. I put in the slp single and a boost bottle to get rid of some low rpm gurgling. Dark blue polaris primary, 58g weights, jetted it to slp's specs, and it runs just how I want it to(for now). A guy at slp told me that the vforce reeds are no longer being shipped until they fix the problems. He said the lamination is not right and also has seen problems with the screws coming out. He's seen or heard of more than 200 engines that fried because of the reeds failing. Guess I'll wait until they get it 100% before I try them. Thanks for everybody's help.

post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just a thought, if the slp pipe likes the heat why don't people who own them get them coated or wrap them with hedder wrap. this would keep them more consistant and widen the power band buy 200-300 rpm. not to mension the coating looks cool. i my self would probably use the hedder wrap because you can control where you want it and how much you want on there to keep the pipe hot,plus you can take it off if no impovement is seen.another benifet is under hood temp will decrease.one roll is about $40 and i think its about 40 to 50 feet of it,heck split the cost with a friend and do 2 pipes. you should be able to get it at JEGS or SUMMIT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode