Urgent polaris clutch question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Performance and Tech Share your tech tips, show off your project, ask a question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Urgent polaris clutch question

I got ready to start tweaking my clutch - ready for next weeks sledding (a buddy and myself decided since there's no snow here we were going to drive north until we found some and spend Wednesday and Thursday sledding).

I don't know how I missed them when doing all the other work on the machine, but the sliding sheeve for the primary clutch has some serious cracks in it (1.5" long starting at the center).

The urgent (because I need to go sledding next week) question is does anyone (minus40?) know for sure if the outer sheeve assembly (sheeve, spider, cover) is balanced independant of the inner sheeve? I figure they must be independantly balanced because when the belt clearance shims are changed the two rotate relative to each other.

Anyway - the only used clutch I've been able to find is from a 1995 Indy Trail with a 488 fan cooled motor. It's in good shape, but the crankshaft taper is different. Assuming they are indepenadantly balanced I figure I can use the Trail's outer sheeve, spider & cover along with my inner sheeve.

Will this work?

Steve S.
http://home.off-road.com/~ovo/members/sshaw/sshaw.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Urgent polaris clutch question

Although I was told the crankshaft taper is different. I just looked up the part number for a Comet 108EXP clutch and they are identical between the 1990 Indy 650 and 1995 Indy trail. Maybe I'll be OK and it'll simply bolt on.

I'm heading out to pick it up now...

Steve S.
http://home.off-road.com/~ovo/members/sshaw/sshaw.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 03:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Urgent polaris clutch question

sorry steve i hate to RAIN on your parade but the onlything that isn't balanced as ass. is the spider you need a complete clutch or replace the cover and have it rebalanced if you dont you will likely have crank troubles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM
nitro-express

by 95 polaris was already well into balancing their clutches as assemblies. the spider can be shifted to adjust belt clearance but the indexing has to be within one inch of original. you will need a complete clutch. polaris uses the same taper for all their sleds up untill the most recent ones but some older cranks had a different offset. yours is a zero offset so alot of clutches will work, just use the proper clutch arms and spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode