snowmobile powered by KX500 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Performance and Tech Share your tech tips, show off your project, ask a question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

snowmobile powered by KX500

Picture in attachment.

I've been building this prototype and doing some experimenting with super light designs (200 lbs.) My designs are way a head of what I can afford to build. I know how to make these things lean into corners. I can do front breaks and my new suspention you won't even believe.I've also designed a low emissions two stroke without fuel injection. The design in the picture is from '97. I've come to the conclusion I need a sponsor to do it right.. Does anyone know how I could go about this?Or where I might post my snow toy to get some attention?

Russ

Email me at RDK12796@aol.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1011069-e2.JPG (40.8 KB, 364 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Addict

Re: snowmobile powered by KX500

That is awesome. How do you do front brakes? I can't even picture how you would do that. Do you have any pics or drawings of the front brake setup.

My friend put polaris style IFS on a 78' Yamaha Enticer. And he also put, I think, a polaris liquid cooled 440 twin in it to. This thing goes like mad. You can steer it by using the throttle. The ski stance is about 12 inches wider than a normal polaris indy. It is very stable.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd rather not give out my designs just yet.Although it seems obvious to me, apparently no one else has thought of it yet. Gotta keep a few aces up my sleeve :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 05:41 AM
Old Hand

That thing looks cool, like a super sno scoot. I want one. If I where you, I'd send some pictures,and a resume to one of the big factories. With work like that you obviously have great building and designing talents. Polaris could use someone like you for a new age suspension and chassis design like skidoo did with the rev. How hard was it to adapt the kx 500 motor to the chassis, and how hard was it to hook it up with a centrifical clutch? Looks like you have the size perfect, gotta put a seat on there though for them hard landings.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey thanks! This may be my only cridentials. I'm a sculptor by day. I don't really want a job, I just want to build whats in my head, with someone else picking up the tab. I'm so far ahead of the big 4 it's frustrating. They are heading in the right direction though. They are finally putting the engine down in the frame instead of on top of it, and shaving their many pounds. As for the seat and hood, I can't build them until I change the suspention to let me bank into the corners like a bike... It is hard to cut into a working toy with 3 feet of snow on the ground. Hard landings are not a problem. I set this up with 8" of ground clearance, and a foot of travel - two feet at the tail. THe rear shock came off my dirtbike so I really have more suspention than nerve. The motormounts were no problem, and the centrifical clutch was easy. I didn't use one. I thought it might be fun to bang gears on snow... it is!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 05:17 AM
Old Hand

Guess you wouldn't want to show any close up pic's of that sled then? I'd like to see the way you have the chain and, how you have it routed to drive the track. Banging gears would be fun on a machine like that. A developement r/d job is what your describing to a T. And no one is going to have more money for you to throw around then one of the big 4. Your idea's could be brought to life easier, and make you a very rich man. Show them the light, take a shot give em a call or a write, send them some photo's.

And get me a job there after you get in, lol
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 07:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sure I can show close ups. There's nothing on this sled that hasn't already been thought of, except maybe the rear suspention but I'm way beyond this set up anyway. I'll try and shoot some pictures tomorrow and get them up. Is there anyway to make them come up in the post instead of an attatchment?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 07:26 AM
Old Hand

For the picture's pm portgrinder. He know's how to do that I don't. Pluss he's an engineering student, would probrably like to see this project. Might I suggest a seat like a yamaha wave blaster jet ski, to be in an up right position for shifting, sure you probrably have something like that in the works. How much did you have to gear it down? And what do you estimate for the top speed? Anywhere near 60?

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 08:23 PM
portgrinder

give me a shout.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 04:47 AM
Old Hand

Hey I wouldn't mind learning how to do that either. How do you get them to make it pop up automatically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode