Cleaning the crank case - 1996 Polaris XLT 600 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Performance and Tech Share your tech tips, show off your project, ask a question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 07:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cleaning the crank case - 1996 Polaris XLT 600

The oil line to the center cylinder fell off last weekend while out riding, resulting in a SMOKED piston. Cooked the piston pretty good, scored the cylinder wall on the jug pretty good. I've got the jug off and in the machine getting bored as we speak.

How do I clean all the piston, ring, and cylinder wall chips / shavings out of the bottom of the crank case? The guy at the machine shop said I should "split the case" and then proceded to take me to school saying that I have to pull the clutch off with a gear puller, use a steering wheel puller to pull the pull-chord side apart. By the time he got to talking about the ignition and timing I was pretty lost.

This is my first sled and I haven't ever done a thing to a 2-stroke. I've been through a bunch of small block Chevy's, and realize that not much of that wealth of knowledge applies here.

Can anyone give me a road map about how to clean out the bottom of the crankcase, flush the bearings, and whatever else I should do to make sure this thing goes back together properly?

Are there drain holes in the bottom of the case, so I can flush if with gas&oil mix or some other solvent?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:14 PM
Matt M38A1

Re: Cleaning the crank case - 1996 Polaris XLT 600

If you don't have the tools take it to your machinist (if they do that stuff). You'll need a clutch puller for the clutch (obviously), the motor will have to be out of the machine, you'll need a flywheel puller for the magneto side, and you'll want to have a Clymer manual for all the specifications ($20). Then you'll need some loctite non-shimming gasket material (red plastic tube at napa) and the surface prep spray (primer). I don't remeber the loctite numbers but I have them at home. It's a bit of work but an average garage Joe can do it (particularly where you're familiar with this stuff). Just be sure to mark the timing before you remove the philips screws (under the flywheel).

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have all the tools, just unfamiliar with snowmobiles. Any information is greatly appreciated. Where can I get one of the manuals with the specifications in it - dealer or parts dept?

Do I really need to pull the engine and split the case or is it possible to clean any junk out the case without going through the trouble?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Matt M38A1

There's not much room to get into the base (past the crank and rod), you could flush it with gas but you risk washing stuff into the bearings if there was none there to begin with. Additionally, the oil pump drive mechanism is in the base of the center cylinder, I wouldn't want to get stuff washed into that.

You can get at the mount bolts from under the machine. Then you can lift the base and the aluminum mounts, and the front mount brackets out with it. I found on my old 650 that by taking the front mount brackets out I avoided changing the motor alignment (although I still double checked it). Dealer should have the manual, try Dennis Kirk, too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode