Polaris Track Replacement? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Snowmobiles and Sledding > Snowmobile Lounge

Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2000, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Polaris Track Replacement?

I am about to rip into changing the track on my Polaris and I have a good idea on everything that needs to be done and I am to cheap to buy a manual. I was wondering if there is a writeup anywhere that describes the process. Any info would be great. Thanks Jay

85 XJ 350,TH350,NP207,4 1/2 lift, 32x11.50 sport kings, custom bumpers, roof rack etc.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2000, 06:55 AM
Matt M38A1

Default Re: Polaris Track Replacement?

OH BOY!! Have fun!

They're a bitch and you have to take everything apart on that lower shaft. Start by taking the secondary off, then the exhaust and chaincase cover. Get the chain and lower gear off, then take out the slide rails. At this point go back to the area where the secondary is and take bearing, and speedo stuff apart on the driveshaft. then go to the chaincase and take out the Jesus clip that holds in the lower bearing (i think, it's been 2 years since i was here). At this point hire a wrestler to help you manipulate the shaft so that you can get the speedo side out and down such that you can pull the track. When complete reverse process to assemble.

Now, somone may be able to enlighten you on a few things that make it easier. Like I said it's been to years since I did one. Even then it was on a 1990 machine. Maybe the newer ones are easier. Also, my buddy finished the shaft removal part one day when I was at work, however, he is very very mechanically inclined, and he said he'll never do it again. To me that's saying something. Wrestling that lower shaft was a bitch.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-19-2000, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The track swapping on the newer Polaris' are not that bad. I can change my 2000 700 RMK in about 1 1/2 hours. The difficulty of getting the drive shaft out depends on your track lug height, on the smaller ones it is much easier. When you get into the 1 3/4 or 2" is where it becomes difficult. Below are two webpages that explains the job fairly good.(they are actually on this site)

http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/i...k/putitin.html

http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/i...takeitout.html

Old 12-28-2000, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

your lowern drive sprocket needs to be aligned perfectly or else it will eat bearings

Sponsored Links
Advertisement