Need Help, sled has been backfiring. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Snowmobiles and Sledding > Snowmobile Lounge

Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Need Help, sled has been backfiring.

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys and gals could help me with something. I've got a 98 Arctic Cat ZR500 with 300 miles that has been backfiring the past two times I've ridden it. I'm pretty new to sledding and I havent the slightest idea what the problem could be. When I pull the throttle real tight and then let up quickly the snowmobile is most likely to bog and backfire. While it was bogging , I have on occasion pushed the trottle in to keep it running and no matter how tight I squeeze it just makes a really weird "put put put" noise and will not engauge the clutch. A few seconds later it's back to normal. Now that we've got some snow here in MN I've been riding it anyway, but I know it's not something to be put off. I just took it out of storage and burned through the first tank of old gas on the lake with no problems noticed. Since then, I've tightened the track, adjusted the idle, and used 92 octane fuel(which I've been told is better for the machine). I also use the same oil as last year. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2000, 01:21 PM
snownut

Default Re: Need Help, sled has been backfiring.

Have you cleaned your carbs lately? You have a low end lean condition, and most likely just need to clean your pilots. I would clean your carbs completely.

Snownut

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-2000, 04:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the suggestion Snownut. I've never cleaned a carb before but I've got a friend that's been in and around sleds a lot. I'll post again as soon as I get them cleaned. Thanks, Ben

Old 01-26-2000, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have a 98 zl 500. same engine, my sled had the same problems with backfiring after a run down a feild or a lake if you don't it will backfire. If you want to stop it then let it idle 30 seconds before shutting it off. the same thing happens in trails some times, same deal just let it idle for about 30 seconds

"If YoU CaN't RuN wItH ThE ArCtIcCaTs, LeAvE YoUrS On ThE TrAiLeR"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement