Polaris Horsepower - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Snowmobiles and Sledding > Snowmobile Lounge

Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2000, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Polaris Horsepower

Does anyone know the approximate stock horsepower of my 94 Polaris Indy XLT 580 triple? I have heard that the Polaris triples are
excellent motors to build up and was wondering what I have to start with. Also, if anyone has a guess at the top speed of this sled
(stock) I would be interested that also. Just bought this sled a few months ago and I have only got to ride it once. Unfortunately, Ohio isn't
getting much snow this winter. Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2000, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Polaris Horsepower

Your sled is probably putting out around 85 HP. With SLP tripple pipes, Dial-a-Jets and UFO's you could be knocking on the door of
110 HP. Add Heelclicker clutch weights to get it to the snow where it counts. My XLT, before my longtrack and gearing changes, was
radar-ed at 96 mph-stock. I can run with just about any 600 out there that is in relative stock form. Powder Special 600's and RMK
600's are no sweat if I get a mile to get to top speed :-)..out of the hole performance of the XLT ain't on par with the twins. My engine
lasted 5500 miles before anything ever happened to it. Annoying rattling and vibration led to a compression check and then to a top
end rebuild. I had allowed the rings to go to far (.050 where .018 was max allowable..ouch!) which caused piston slap and hosed the
pistons and scuffed the cylinders a bit. I get the cylinder block back tomorrow from the machine shop with a 20 over bore job as well
as a set of Wiseco pistons... instant 600 cc's..I'll let you know this weekend how it worked out. BTW..an XTRA 10, if found cheaply,
fits really well into your chasis- a much better ride.

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-19-2000, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Polaris Horsepower

I've heard that the 580's are about 87 hp and the 600's are about 92-93 hp with the 34mm carbs. The 38mm carbs add about 3-5 hp. I have a 600 and am thinking about getting a SLP pipe which would bring me to about 110 hp according to SLP. Powerdomes add about 3-7 hp but don't know about the octane needed. Another thing might be a aftermarket airbox. I don't know what it could do or how it affects your jetting but if you look at the stock airbox, you can't go wrong. I probably wouldn't do that cause I have a ACCS and I've heard it using my airbox air pressure for adjusting my carbs. It does connect to my airbox but don't see how it does that.

My stock XLT RMK will go about 85mph in hardpack but it takes a little time to get there. I can run with new stock Powder Specials but not the RMK's. I would also look at replacing your clutch springs for performance and a bigger track can't hurt either.

Trails are made for flatlanders.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement