xlt updates, questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

xlt updates, questions

I've had a 94 xlt special since almost new. Last year I had the whole motor tottaly rebuilt bored .020 over with wiseco prolites, have never had pipes on it. It is all stock but has an eraldson complete clutch kit on it. All of the clutch parts where replaced 2 years ago. I need new springs and need to know what ones would go into the kit. Does anyone have eraldsons phone number? I also put on a new track and 144 studs in it. I got some new brake pads for it and have to put them in, is this difficult to do? Is it possible to do it myself with baisick tools? I also put new carbides on last year. I have skee skins on my skies, how much are polaris skies, and are they worth the upgrade?
How would a new 500 twin compare to my sled? would one of those be faster. Next year I plan on getting something new, probrably a 700 or 800 twin. I was looking at the pro x 800. My dad wantc the xlt, how much is it worth, it really is in great shape and has always been stored, never sat out side. Any help would be apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Re: xlt updates, questions

Hmmmmmmmmm no former xlt owners out there. Changed the pads, got plastic skies. Still gotta get some new clutch springs. Anyone got some info on my old questions? Is there even any snow to go riding in canada? Next year if there is snow lol what 700 or 800 would you recommend,or is the rx 1 the machine to get?

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 04:31 PM
oultman

Oh dear, the bad memories are all coming back now, I am a former XLT owner, I had a 95 XLT, the absolute worst machine i ever had, it was only 2 years old when I got it. I had it for one year, and the engine burned down twice on me, shocks all needed revalving and the thing only had 850 miles on it. I was scared to take it any distance because it was pretty much sure to have something wrong with it. I traded it in the next year on a 95 ZR, the cat may have been a lot harder on gas, but it was dependable. I traded it in in 00' for my current sled a 99' SX 700, by far the best machine I ever had. If I was buying new, I would look hard at a viper, or a MXZ. No offense to your xlt, it may be fine, 2 of my buddies still have them, one is just like my old one, requires something every trip, and the other has 3500 trouble free miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Hey thank's man, someone finally replied to my post. I rode mine over 4000 mile's and never had a problem. I decided to have it tottaly rebuilt last year. Good thing too one of the piston skirts had a crack. I had it bored .020 over had the ports all polished and put prolight pistons in it. Other then that the only non stock thing on the sled is the clutch kit. I got a deal through the snow show and got a new camoplast track and 144 studs. One thing that sucked is that you can't go more then .875 becuase they'll hit the heat exchanger. I'll post picks of it, it really is in great shape. I'll look into the yamaha, getting more of those all the time, latest toy was a banshee. I've heard that they where actualy pretty reliable machines. A lot of people talk crap about that 700 triple being slow. How does it compare to the 700 twins from polaris, arctic cat, and skidoo. I really don't like the way skidoo's start, and that there is no key just a teather. My xlt start's like 1 pull every time. Hopefully yamaha is similar, and I really don't care for arctic cats too much.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 08:15 AM
oultman

hey, I think you'll enjoy your new track, I know a lot of people who swear by camoplast. Don't forget its a good idea to get tunnel protectors if your running studs for the first time. As far a other sleds, I run with people who mostly own Yamaha and Doos, and honestly the doos are a great sled also, a bit harder on gas, just cause there the high HP twin compared to the triple. My sled is a stock SX 700 with the exception of 168 studs, and I can give a MXZ 700 with studs a good run for its money. The SX however is not really meant to be a racing machine, the SRX is. The main difference is the triple pipes on the SRX and the power valves. clutched right, its a tough sled to beat with an 800. The viper is a great overall sled from yamaha, it is the combination of the SX and the SRX. It is just a single piped 700 triple but it has power valves, it also has a much smoother suspension than the SRX, its a great over all sled. In My mind, the best part of the Yamaha is the fuel mileage. I can out do the MXZ's by $7-$10 every fill, and when you drive a lot like myself it really adds up. I had a ZR before my Yammy, and I almost tripled my fuel mileage with my new one. If you want speed go for a SRX in a yammy, unless of course your goin new, then you'd be out of luck, 02' last year for them, if you want over all sled SX or Viper, but like I said, Ski-Doo has a lot of great sleds out there as well, as far as cat and polaris, I've had my share of bad luck with them, hard on fuel and clutches in the cat, and you know the rest about the polaris, thats not to say that they don't have good machines now, cause they could be very well be great.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I like polaris, my brother and I both have had our sleds for a while now with no problems. He rides a built up xcr and of coarse the xlt is my ride. You been doing any riding? Still no snow for us michigan riders. Will look into the yamaha. A leftover srx 700 would be an awsome machine if I could find one. In the meantime I still have the old xlt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 999441-xltnew.jpg (46.1 KB, 19 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

hood shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 999442-hood shot3.jpg (45.1 KB, 33 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Under the hood
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 999443-xlt motor3.jpg (54.9 KB, 44 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Plastic ski's, guess there's no need to rush and put em on right away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 999445-honda 3.jpg (40.9 KB, 27 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 08:39 AM
oultman

Yeah I've been doing a lot of riding lately, about 1000 km (600 miles) so far, just had enough snow in the last week and a half or so though. A little slower than usaul to come, but now were getting more all the time, another storm coming wednesday. The worst is I have to drive home from university every weekend to go sledding, its hard to let it sit there all week, haha, good luck with the snow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode