Polaris Clutch problems. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Snowmobiles and Sledding > Snowmobile Lounge

Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2002, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Polaris Clutch problems.

I have a 1994 Polaris Indy 500 SKS. I put Clutch problems in the subject line because I think that is what it is. Here is the problem. When I take off it sounds like I am running on one cylinder. But when I get up to a descent speed, it screems down the trail. So I know it isn't a spark plug. Then when I come to a stop it wants to stall because the clutch does not want to disengage. Should I rebuild it? If so then what kind of kit is a good one for a reasonable amount of money.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2002, 10:42 PM
portgrinder

Default Re: Polaris Clutch problems.

clean your carbs and clutches. sounds like your too fat on the bottom and you primary needs a going-through
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-16-2002, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

retiredpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Go through and check the obvious spots first. Change the plugs if you haven't already done that. Change the plug wires too. A sled that age is due for a new set anyway. Remove the carbs and clean them thoroughly inside. Make sure the pilot jets are clean along with all the various small holes that you can see. It's possible that the ones that supply fuel in the transition between idle and full throttle are blocked with some debris or varnish.
As far as the clutch it may be something as simple as a broken primary spring. But pull both clutches anyway. Take the cover off the primary so you can pull the spring out. Wash the belt dust out with varsol. Check to make sure the weights pivot freely and the spider moves up and down without binding. It's quite likely that you will need to put some shims behind the spider buttons to get them in spec. You can pick up a shim kit from the dealer or get him to do it. The kit comes with instructions but you need to pull the spider in order to add the shims which requires some specialty tools.
Take the secondary apart by removing the snap ring on the back. When you take it out make sure you make note of which holes the ends of the spring are in. Check the helix ramp buttons for wear and replace if necessary. The parts you need are available from the dealer.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sounds a helluvalot like dirt carbs to me. . well one dirty carb...
Old 07-17-2002, 06:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Guys. Sounds like I will have a weekend of tearing apart the Polaris. Want to get a head start this year. Tired of waiting till the last minute while everyone else is out riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement