Beach sand tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Sand Lounge A forum for general discussion about dune-ing, dune destinations, upcoming trips, sandsports of all kinds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 09:20 PM
tomcar

Beach sand tires

Have a Tomcar running on knobby all-terrain tires: Front: 25x8-12 and Rear: 26x12-12. Weight of the vehicle is 1500#. Has a 3-cylinder engine with CVT. I can only get 25-30MPH in a vehicle that easily tops 45MPH in the wild. I must be bogging down.
Need help (HELP!) figuring what tires are best for FLAT SoCal beaches, with fine, ungroomed sand. Assume they might occasionally run on pavement from place to place (1-2% of the time). I would replace the heavy, reinforced steel rims with aluminum.
These are beache, no dunes. V-paddle? Straight? Should I change the front tires too even though it's a 2WD?
I've been on the Net but the search for answers is frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1534689-sand.jpg (2.6 KB, 64 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Journeyman

Re: Beach sand tires

You'll need a very mellow all terrain tire with that set up. If you do not have a lot of power, then any sort of knobby/mud tire will suck in the sand. I use BFG all terrains myself, on a Samurai, aired down to 9 psi.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:40 PM
tomcar

Re: Beach sand tires

Thanks for the suggestion and will keep it in mind. In the meantime, we added the Carlisle Turf Chief in back for an immediate increase in 10MPH. We are about to trade out the front knobbies for Carlisle All Trail (per ToyJunkies in Mesa, AZ). We may swap out the rugged but heavier reinforced wheels for mags to see if decreasing the rotational weight makes any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode