Thunder Tiger Pro .21 Buggy Engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Radio Control Forums > RC-Nitro

RC-Nitro For discussion of off-road, gas (Nitro) powered, radio controlled model vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2000, 02:18 AM
Family Left Me

willyswanter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thunder Tiger Pro .21 Buggy Engine

I have a USA-1 Nitro Crusher that I bought about a year ago and with it I bought a Thunder Tiger .21 Buggy Engine. Now, for this whole year I have beent trying to get this engine tuned with no luck. I have a TT engine in my plane and it tuned in like 5 minutes. I have a HPI engine in my 10GT and it tuned with no problem. I just have had absolutely no luck with the TT buggy engine. I am building a custom tube frame for my USA-1 with solid axles (like clod) with all custom machined parts by me so the engine is out of it for now but I built an engine stand with fuel tank so I can test it and try to get it going. Any help on setting up the engine like needle settings would be greatly appreciated. To see Autocad 2000 drawing of my new suspension view attached.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2000, 03:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

tomklipp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thunder Tiger Pro .21 Buggy Engine

i don't see any attached

Tom Klippenstein
GOT BEER?
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-27-2000, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have never used thunder Tiger engines, but have not heard anything bad about them yet, except main needle jets vibrating loose. Do you have the book that came with the engine? They usually have good starting points in there instructions, It is always better to go to rich than to lean. I live over sixty miles from where I race and have to readjust my engine every time. This is just mostly the main jet and the idle setting. If your fuel is more than three months old and not stored in the optimum conditions, it will attract water and won't run worth a damn. Maby try a new glow plug.
About 2 1/2 turns on the main needle and the idle set flush with the carb body. Check for air leaks, leacky front seal, they will make tuning a nightmare, I know.
Start off with the manufacturers specs and go from there. Tuning can take time and these engines are easily affected by altitude, heat and humidity. Hope this helps.

If it ain't broke fix it till it is.
Old 09-28-2000, 12:59 AM
Family Left Me

Well, when I ordered my engine it came and the box was sealed. When I opened the box, it had no instructions. So, I have gone to my local hobby shop that specializes in nitro cars (not .21 as much) and they had no luck tuning it either. One thing I forgot to mention was that when I first start it, it runs great until it gets warm, as soon as that happens (5 minutes) it dies whenever you give it throttle. It will idle forever. Help.

Old 11-05-2000, 01:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Jason,

0ne thing's for sure: your engine gets too hot. When it can idle all day the fuel mixture is too lean for driving. With the right setting the engine should tend to stall after 20-30 seconds of idling. This rich setting of the "low" needle gives better acceleration and will cool the engine a bit when idling or braking.
This is normal for .21 engines, most .10 or .15 engines are less critical. Most .21 engines are designed for go, not for idling.
It is also possible that the engine needs more nitro. In warm weather conditions 25% is a good rule of thumb, but it may be necessary to add an additional head gasket to adjust the engine's compression rate to the fuel.

Good luck,

Steffen

Old 12-01-2000, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can find the right sized glow-plug with an idler-bar you should get one of those, it reduces the power a little but its so little you dont notice it. with the bar there it keeps alot of the fuel out, this causes the "inner coil" to stay red for as long as you have nitro in the tank. i HIGHLY suggest you get a plug with a idler bar, i have fox plugs on my TORQ .21 and it runs mint

Old 12-01-2000, 08:00 PM
Family Left Me

The glow plug i have in it is one with a bar and in all my other engines it runs great but when i stick it in that thunder tiger it will idle all day, and when i first start it for the first time it will let me run the truck around for about 2 minutes and have some fun then as soon as the engine warms up it quits. I am sick of this thing.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]Jason[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement