Off Roading Forums banner

1999 Ford Ranger Prerunner?

11K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Pauls 4x4 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 ranger 2wd 4 cyl w/ 110k that I have been considering prerunning. Does anyone have any thoughts on if its worth it to prerun a 4 cyl and any suggestions on suspension/tires/flares?

#2 ·
Personally,
I think the 2wd is gonna get you stuck. Race trucks HAVE TO be 2wd, but in real life that's a liability. I am also biased against the look.

Anyways

97 up Ranger suspension is a bit more subjectively spendy to mod than the older. And just don't expect that dog to have more bark once you put weight on it. That said around San Bernardino, Riverside, CA I see this build a-lot.

I have had a few rangers, and what I think really works is the 4.0 with the TTB 4x4. The lift kits are priced like they are going out of style, and there are a lot of dead ones to scavenge. If lucky you even find busted built TTB broncos with ridiculously sweet kit ( like hydraulic bump-stops and cartridge shocks) and longer arms that you can "make work" to really just have a rock-monster that jumps, slides, etc. STILL SLOW THOUGH. But that's a ranger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.