Toyota 22re idle/mid-throttle problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 PM
DarylT

Toyota 22re idle/mid-throttle problem

I have an í89 2wd Toyota pickup, manual Trans with 22re. It started with having very low compression inside the #1 cylinder. I troubleshot down to the head gasket, replaced head gasket with no problems. After finally getting the timing to be correct, allowing the truck to run good enough for road testing, I still have some issues. When I slow-down to turn or stop at a signal the RPMs drop down to around 250 and sometimes dies or corrects itself and brings the idle back to 1000. This only happens after the truck warms up or when itís fairly warm outside.

After reading several forums, I decided to check the following: valve clearances, spark plugs, plug wires, vacuum leaks, vacuum hose placement, TPS, trouble codes. I did find that my TPS was loose. Removed Throttle body to inspect and found it to be filthy. I cleaned the Throttle body and adjusted the TPS according to the factory but this didnít help me, in fact it created a different problem.

After adjusting the TPS, at mid-throttle the engine sounds like it is stalling and then if I open the throttle all the way, it stays on. Itís so bad; I couldnít test drive to see if I fixed my original problem. I reset all the codes after I installed the new head gasket so currently there are not any codes showing up just yet. I donít know what to check next can anyone help me out?

Thank you

Daryl
daryl.kinney@us.af.mil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode