how do i win the trophy and kiss the girl? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 11:22 AM
1BroncoGuy

how do i win the trophy and kiss the girl?

ha ha thought that might bring a few in!

so any ways just what does a truck need to survive the punishment and torchure of a desert racer?

heres the foundation,
a 78 bronco 460ci c6 np205 1ton axles f/r

6" bds lift 35" goodyear MTR's , the truck for the most part sees all mud,it's a daily driver that can snag 1000pts on a 20deg rti (whoopie,never have i came across a ramp in the bush!)

the kicker is , i want to stay with the straight axles

the lift stays/ and it has to be street leagle

what do i do to the rest of it to survive?
what kinda shocks are goodin's?

and how do i post a pic on here?
thanx for any replies guys
i know this is quite a general how to question,but any suggestions would be greatly ap re sh ge ate ed [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: how do i win the trophy and kiss the girl?

well I think it is interesting that you want to stay with straight axels but if you want to do that and you really want to mash your truck you could four link the front end and put some coilovers on it. but if you want to keep it fairly simple put some long travel leafs and slap some bypasses or just good shocks like bilstien, sway-a-way, king,or fox. these companies all make good products and I'm sure you can find something that can fit your budget. But what ever you do keep it FORD and remember they don't leak they just mark there territory! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 12:43 AM
1BroncoGuy

well i want to keep the straight axles in cause they work good for all the other types of drivin i do

i think because i just put the 6" coils up front that i will leave them in and just get some long travel shocks

you mentioned several types, i priced out king shocks, 32" tall 2.5 pre-runners at 300 bones (remote rez)

what are sway-aways?

is there a place that i can read about specs of a pre-runner type rig?
if i could see what mods they have done to a rig,that might help,

thanx for the response

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sway-aways are a type of shock and you can check them out at swayaway.com and a couple places you can check out pre-runners and suspension kits would be Autofab.com, Bajaconcepts.com, Camburg.com, weldtecdesigns.com, and if you just want to see some sick prerunners you can go to prerunners.com, or prerunners.net. alot of these places have links so you can find other web sites to. Most of these places are in SoCal. but im sure they will ship you the parts you need.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 11:57 PM
LowGearMonster

Well I wouldn't go with such a beefy truck. It's a great truck though with a combo that is hard to beat say for mud and heavy duty trail use but not Desert Racing. Get you a 2wd truck. Those do real good in those desert racing events. Just give me that old bronco. I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 12:17 AM
1BroncoGuy

nooo waaayy!
i roll into buddies shop today to ask him about some racey shocks,

he sez hey dude! i herd throgh the grape vine that some guy in a kick ass bronco was tottally rippin up the river bank,and pullin off some SICK AIR!
they told him that this rig was hell bent for leather!

ha ha i just love the grape vine in a lil 1 horse town!
so the rig stays! i'm lookin at blistiens tommorrow

and all the other bent and broken parts will go on the wall of flame!

god i just love this new style of drivin i found! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 03:09 PM
cleartoy

Well for your truck, id go with some 3" shocks by Sway A Way, King, or FOX. If you can swing it, Bypass would make it user tunible. Its a heavy truck, so valving will be heavy. Get some 7 or 8 inch rims so you can use the tires for rim protection. Get some decent bumpers\engine cage goin on, and some skid plating. This way you can keep your lift that you have said you dont want to replace.

Thats pretty much what your limited to id say.

If you reconsider changing some other things, you can do more.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Old Hand

Custom 4-link with coil-overs, air bumps, and a bypasses. But were talking BIG $$$$$$
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 01:31 AM
1BroncoGuy

so is a shock the single most important part on a trophy getter?

i mean, looking at the travel of suspension being totaly useless unless you have a shock to make it managable?

the type of suspension makes a rig more speed friendly of course,

but in my application, should i seriously look at the top dogs? (exo-by-pass-remote-rez) god that sounds so cool! hope thats how you say it,

are these shocks going to match the rest of the truck?
or will these bad boyz compansate for the lack of truck?

or will they be only working at half there true potential?

the other shock i see is, say in the bilistiens is the 7100,
remote rez thats it
they are so much cheaper than the 9100 series, will they get pounded because of the size of truck?

as far as price goes i will drop the coin on what ever,
i've spent thousands on the boiler/lift/paint/bars/winch stuff/sterio/tranny/t-case/diffs and yadi yada, so i will do the right thing,

as stated earlier, the last set of shockes that were on this rig were james duff, the complimented the rest of the truck, but now they are layin on a riverbank, so what good is that?
thanx for all the replies,again [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 09:16 AM
cleartoy

Shocks make a night and day difference. I was just trying to figure how to make it work with the suspension you already have and said you wanted to keep.

Even with the really nice shocks it will never be optimum. If you get longer custom leaves for the back, with new pivot points and shackles it will be better. On the front im not sure if you have leaves, or a coil and link arms. If you have leaves, do the same as the rear. IF you have arms, go way longer and get coil overs.

As far as diameter of shocks, I would reccomend 3". I run 2.5s on my Toyota, which is way lighter than your truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode