Shades of Grey | 2017 RZR Build - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Polaris UTV Forum Rangers and RZRs, the full-spectrum of utility and hard-core fun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

One quick additional update...

One of the first mods performed on Shades of Grey was replacing the factory speedometer bezel with the black and machined bezel by MODQUAD Racing. While the cage was undergoing powder-coat, Chad sent the replacement bezel along with it for some color matching. We think it turned out pretty good; simple, but nice nonetheless!

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Need Tires for Your Camper or Trailer?

Useful Links:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Our apologies for the delay here, guys! Back to the mods!

-MOD #9 | Stereo-

Tunes, Tunes, Tunes… :icon_rockwoot:

"Well, there is a bit of a story behind this. The 6-seater-whoop-eater had a great sounding system in it and we (my wife and I) loved it. However, since we installed the Rugged Radio system and were then able to talk and listen to music through the headsets, we really didn’t use the stereo system all the often. So, I had decided to NOT install a stereo system in “Shades of Grey” since we had planned for a full blown system from Rugged Radios. Well, my wife was not super happy about that. She loves to have the radio available when we stop along the trail or take a break at the dunes, etc.. etc... It just so happens that a very good friend of mine happens to own Creative Audio Werks and does a ton of custom installs throughout his 20 years+ of experience.

Through some conversation he mentioned that Rockford Fosgate had recently introduced a new product that is specifically designed to fit the RZR. After a little bit of research, some Youtube video watching and an attempt to keep the wife happy, I worked out a deal with Rick from CAW to install the Rockford Fosgate Stage 4 kit. At first I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant…how will it sound, will it hold up against the dust, water, etc, I have to give up the storage box… lots of things crossed my mind, but thanks to RZRForums most of these worries were put to bed.

Let me be the first to say….This system is KILLER! I cannot believe how great it sounds. It’s not just loud like a teenagers first car; it actually sounds amazing! The sound is very crisp and clear, the Bluetooth, Pandora, Sirius options in the head unit are very well thought out and super easy to use. I am very happy to admit that I love the system (and it kept my wife happy). I can’t thank Creative Audio Werks and Rockford Fosgate enough with the help on this… especially the over the top install job that Creative did."

-MOD #10 | Communication-

Talk, Talk, Talk...

"I used to look at the guys riding around with headset/radio setups and think "Why in the he** would anyone want that?"

After meeting up with a couple of guys from Rugged Radios at an event held at Mormon Lake near Flagstaff, AZ my mind has been changed. At first I was a bit shocked by the retail prices on these things. Who really needs to talk to their passengers that bad? But, after a little more education and learning that you can talk car to car, listen to the radio, make phone calls, all through the headsets, I was SOLD!! In fact, there were seven or eight of us at that particular event and we all ended up purchasing kits that weekend.

After having them installed for several months (in the 6-seater-whoop-eater) and attending a few different events which included Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks I am a firm believer in the fact these radio systems make the rides not only safer, but tremendously more enjoyable. Being able to talk to your buddies while cruising the trails, blasting through the dunes or crawling the obstacles in Moab makes riding an entirely new experience.

I can't say enough good things about Rugged Radios or the guys that work for them... incredibly awesome!! The product has held up to everything we have dished out, install is relatively easy and straightforward, so there really is no excuse to not get hooked up. I am super excited about trying out the new RRP-660 Intercom, RM-60 radio and Alpha Bass headsets, also knows as "Triple Threat". These are a definite upgrade from the equipment we had in the 6-seater and I can't wait for the SEMA show to be over so that we can actually get this new toy out and play. I'm pretty sure that a trip to Glamis will be one of the first trips that "Shades of Grey" actually gets to get out and tear it up a bit!!

Circling back to installation real quick... in order to figure out a way of getting the radio and intercom mounted (because the stereo took up the perfect spot) without losing the cup holders, without losing the passenger foot-well and without hanging them from the roll cage, took a bit of creativity. Rick from CAW was very concerned about the radios being solidly mounted, easily accessible and out of the way. In order to achieve this we ordered a mount intended for an Arctic Cat and a faceplate for a sandcar. Yes, the guys at Rugged thought we were crazy... still do!! But, we were able to make it work in such a way that it mounts directly to the front of the tunnel and the radio connections can easily be unhooked in order to remove the tunnel to run or repair any wiring or whatever else you may need to access. Rick was able to use some steel plate and "sandwich" the plastic tunnel and create a very solid mount that is super easy to access from the driver seat. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box... LOL!!"

-Chad

Happy Monday everyone!

The next mod is one of our favorites made to Shades of Grey and duh... I mean we are in the tire and wheel business!

-MOD #11 | Tires & Wheels-

"Over the past few years we have seen a huge shift in the products and sizes that are available in the ATV/UTV market. Just a few years back 25" tire on 12" wheels were pretty much the norm with a 27" package considered "extreme". As we all know machines are getting bigger, with significantly more horsepower and torque. Because of the this the tire and wheel industry has had to react. Many of today's machines come from the factory with tire sizes that are greater than 27" and 30" packages have become run of the mill so to speak. This allows the end users to be able to take their off-road adventures to many places that were unreachable in the past due to limited ground clearance, horsepower, torque, etc..etc..etc. We definitely consider this to be a good thing.

As I'm sure all of you are very aware, the wheel market over the last few years has been black, black, black... matte black, gloss black, black with some machining and frankly it has gotten a bit boring. With that being said we decided NOT to do black wheels on "Shades of Grey". Well, there were not a whole lot of options available, some but not many. We wanted this to be unique and to show customers that there are other options out there. Method Race Wheels really stepped up to the plate and crushed this set of 15x7 401 Beadlocks. This is a wheel that, in Titanium Grey, is NOT available in the size we were hoping to use. Method's response to this "No problem. We got ya"! Because these guys manufacture a killer product, are willing to think outside the box and are just all around great guys I think it is reflected in the final product. The Titanium grey is a pretty close to the cage and bumpers finish and the candy-red rings really set the whole thing off. It adds just enough color to keep things interesting.

We are very, very happy with the 30x10-14 Tensor and 15x7 Method 401 package on the finished machine. We could have easily went with a 32" tire and had no clearance problems at all. However, the stock clutch is being utilized so it was decide that the 30" tires were a safer (more dependable) option. Anyhow, we hope that you all like the choices we made and this build gives you things to consider when adding to or creating your own project".

-Chad

Useful Links:
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

-MOD #12 | Suspension Tuning-

"So, we saved one of the biggest and best (according to the wife) upgrades until last. We finally got out to Shock Therapy to see Ernie and Justin... these guys have been super busy with events for the past couple of months. Anyhow, being able to watch them work their magic and have them explain exactly what they are doing and how it will affect the ride quality was awesome! If you are on the fence about having your suspension tuned (I was) let me tell ya, it truly makes a remarkable difference!!

I still don't quite fully understand all of the "tech-speak" behind all of the things they did, but I know for sure that it made a HUGE difference in the ride and handling. We went ahead and had them perform their Stage 3 Ride Improvement System (RIS) and this is what that includes: Internal shock work, valving, machine work, dual rate spring kit, rear anti sway bar and complete installation.

Justin from Shock Therapy says "This system will be super plush and level in the whoops and still not bottom out in the big hits. The sway bar will cure all top heavy body roll issues too. Overall ride height will be higher than stock as well."

-Chad

Useful Links:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode