Off Roading Forums banner

Worth it for a Pilot, or just childhood pipe dreams?

7K views 1 reply 0 participants last post by  jlhiccu 
G
#1 ·
What's up all? I'm callin from Central AL...Now, growing up, when the odyssey first came out, my father rolled one home out of the blue. I had never seen anything like it...my brother and I had ATV's, but nothing like this beast! The engine was so loud compared to my 225 MOTO4 yamaha (four stroke). I was only about 6 or so, so I couldn't drive it yet...but that didn't keep me from sneaking into the pilot's seat to imagine I was.

Well, family fell on hard times (real estate drop in the late 80's/early 90's) and my dad had to sale/trade the odyssey off for services/money. Don't see any of them around here anymore, mainly b/c anyone that owns an atv just has a 4wd mainly for hunting.

To the questions. I am REALLY considering picking myself up a pilot, but am worried about the 2-stroke factor. Granted, they have been around forever, I'm aware...but I have heard (possibly from non-informed ppl) that on their two stroke bikes, if they spent too much time riding them gingerly, they would foul out the plugs. Also, I read everyone's blogs and posts about reeds, polishing, blah blah...I konw nothing about two stroke engines, aside from the basic function of the cylinders, etc.

Now, I am sure that I will have my foot in the carb as often as possible, but nowhere near as if I were dune riding, b/c we mainly have trails out here, nothing wide open and expansive.

Does it seem feasible that I could enjoy a machine like this, or should I stick to something four stroke? I have dreamt of having one of these ever since Dad got rid of his, but I don't want to spend $5k plus for something that I am going to spend more time fixing than enjoying.

Thanks for listening to the long breakdown!

See less See more
G
#2 ·
2 strokes are not bad

You should not be afraid of a 2 stroke motor, they really don't foul plugs that often if they are not set up correctly, and if they are set up correctly, like I had my 2003 CR 250R dirt bike I went through a plug about every 6 months and I rode every sunday I had the chance. I was always sure to take a spare plug with me so if i needed to change one on the trail i could. this came in handy once, and only once. Also I rode my 03 for 3 years without replacing the piston. It just did not needed it. When it came time to replace it, there was really nothing to it, unlike a 4 stroke.

When you keep your foot on the gas you rarely foul plugs that bad when your not jetted right. Get the right jetting and you will be good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.