Stock horsepower: raptor and 400ex? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Performance ATV Mods

Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2002, 12:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Stock horsepower: raptor and 400ex?

What are the stock H.P. #'s for each machine? Also, will widening a Raptor by 5 inches/rear with hub spacers and flipping the front wheels around make it handle as well or close to as well as a 400ex? I sure noticed how much higher the raptor seems to sit compared to the 400ex - which is probably why it doesn't handle as well. Opinions or answers, anyone? Thanx!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2002, 01:20 AM
raptor_rider

Default Re: Stock horsepower: raptor and 400ex?

as long as your not doing alot of jumping , the spacers will work well, and flipping the front rims gains about an inch and a half on each side, once thats done it corners BETTER than a stock EX
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-2002, 01:23 AM
raptor_rider

oh, as far as HP I dont remember what the EX has but the Raptor (non california model) has 36 horse
Old 04-11-2002, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Raptor Rider. I'm leaning towards buying the used 2001 Raptor over a new 400ex right now. I probably should have bought that 2000 400ex for $3895 - but I didn't know much about quads and which one was better at certain types of riding. I don't like buying on the spur of the moment when that much money is on the line!
Old 04-12-2002, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

According to the Manufactures Spec's (right out of their catalogs) They both don't even list HP numbers... Sorry
Old 04-12-2002, 12:38 PM
I am in the CPU

dwaters has a brilliant future at ORCdwaters has a brilliant future at ORCdwaters has a brilliant future at ORCdwaters has a brilliant future at ORCdwaters has a brilliant future at ORCdwaters has a brilliant future at ORCdwaters has a brilliant future at ORCdwaters has a brilliant future at ORCdwaters has a brilliant future at ORCdwaters has a brilliant future at ORCdwaters has a brilliant future at ORC

A stock 400EX dyno's at around 29HP
Old 04-12-2002, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm still trying to decide whether I want to trade my MX bike for a quad - but if I do it will be for the Raptor.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you plan to run +5 on the stock axle you'd better plan to replace the broken or at least bent stock axle. According some knowledgible people the proto type Raptor had a wider axle and had a nunber of failures, so instead of using a stronger axle they simply shortened the original axle to reduce the stress to an acceptible level.. Also in running that wide an axle you'd likely require wider A-arms to correct the steering/handling geometry.
After bending my OEM axle, I 'm now running a Lone Star axcaliber +one. The handling in corners is greatly improved , requiring much less weight transfer. Also it still allows me to ride tight trail & woods .
Oh, and btw, every test of the 400ex that I've read showed the H.P. rating at between 26 & 28 depending on whose dyno was being used.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The stock horsepower for a Raptor is 34 horsepower at 6900 rpm. A 400ex is 29.3 horsepower at 6900 rpm. Hope this helps
Old 04-12-2002, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

this surprised me but for 5g's you can get a raptor up to 70.2 horse power! and a 400ex to 51.8 horses. i read this in the dirtwheels may 2002 edition.its a supercharger from a company in prueto rico(sp?) i dont know if i beleve it but o well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement