Off Roading Forums banner

Cars for sale in USA?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Rand 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello! I need your opinion about one thing. My friend and I are planning the road trip across USA . So, I’m looking for decent quality and priced cars for sale in USA. We don’t have clue what model will be the most suitable for that. We don’t want to be reap off. I’ve found some cars for sale at pennysaverusa.com looks alright, but I want ask you if you have any experience with this site. If someone of you have used this website and tell me if is any good?

#2 ·
For years we've relied on AutoTrader. Once it expanded to RVTrader, Motorcycle Trader, ATV Trader, etc. and included online access to areas we were willing to drive to but didn't necessarily have easy access to get a hard copy of the magazine ahead of time, that was even better.

You'd probably better narrow down your question of WHAT you are looking for before you even worry about what source you'll buy it from. For that, you get on forums and bulletin boards and ask questions, with details on exactly what type of roads (or not roads) you'll be on, what time of year, how many people are going, how much stuff, what your mechanical skills are. And what your budget is.

You are a long way from worrying about where to buy your car/truck/whatever.

#3 ·
Just a little clue... if you're looking for a car from the midwest to the east coast it will likely be riddled with salt induced cancer. You'd be better off finding a rust-free ride in Texas and taking the time to dirve it to your start location.

IMHO, I'd NEVER buy a used car with the aim of starting out on a cross country trip. Usually there are too many bugs to work out of the vehicle. Those type of problems can be very costly budget busters on a trip like you're planning.

As for a car... humm... I completed a 6000 mile tirp this year in a Prius and was VERY satasified with it. So much so, that I'm thinking of buying one.

Have you considered of renting a vechile by the week/month. Considering that the cost of the rental may only be the cost of one breakdown on the road it may be worth the cost.

#4 ·
I have bought the last two vehicles off of eBay.

One in Florida (2002 OverLand), and the other in New Jersey (2005 Rubicon). Flew out to both and drove them back. (These were just a year old when we bought them.)

No problems....(except with the Jeep warranties...worthless!!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.